COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Corona Virus concerns for SoE

The Seattle are is evidently a COVID-19 hotspot. I wonder if it or any measures taken to restrict it are affecting SBS.

3/11/2020 8:57:20 AM #1

I doubt it. Being cooped up for 14 days, trapped in front of a computer screen would be basically the norm for them I'd imagine.

3/11/2020 11:21:32 AM #2

Posted By Taymuraz at 04:57 AM - Wed Mar 11 2020

I doubt it. Being cooped up for 14 days, trapped in front of a computer screen would be basically the norm for them I'd imagine.

Besides, I doubt any of them have had the time to go on a far east cruise recently.

Seriously, stay healthy and safe, I'd send over some Purell except the hoarders bought them all after two elderly cruisers died in my state recently.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

3/11/2020 1:24:11 PM #3

The hype is a bit much over this. The CDC said two days ago that as much as 85% of infections will go unreported due to the patient not needing or even seeking treatment.

Unless you are immuno compromised or have an underlying issue like heart disease there is zero reason to panic.

My company just had a conference call with a food safety company who has a former member of the cdc on staff who basically said the panic around this is doing more harm than the virus. Yes it’s something healthy people should try not to spread to those who are “at risk” (see above) but it isn’t the end of the world and social media and some main stream media outlets are blowing it way out of proportion.

Anyway rant over. Just tired of seeing people freak over a virus that is less dangerous than SARS was.

3/11/2020 2:00:03 PM #4

^ what was said here.

And also, there’s quite a few working remotely apparently. So everything will work out. Don’t want their families to get sick or anything!

3/11/2020 2:15:11 PM #5

Posted By Malais at 1:24 PM - Wed Mar 11 2020

The hype is a bit much over this. The CDC said two days ago that as much as 85% of infections will go unreported due to the patient not needing or even seeking treatment.

Unless you are immuno compromised or have an underlying issue like heart disease there is zero reason to panic.

My company just had a conference call with a food safety company who has a former member of the cdc on staff who basically said the panic around this is doing more harm than the virus. Yes it’s something healthy people should try not to spread to those who are “at risk” (see above) but it isn’t the end of the world and social media and some main stream media outlets are blowing it way out of proportion.

Anyway rant over. Just tired of seeing people freak over a virus that is less dangerous than SARS was.

Regular influenza each year kills up to 646,000 people. 1,770 people per day. With ordinary influenza we actually have vaccinations against it each season meaning without the vaccinations it would actually be worse.

I don't recall the world going into a meltdown and demanding quarantine zones and curfews against seasonal influenza.

When it comes to virus' it's always going to be a problem for the elderly and especially the elderly with underlying health issues. Only healthy people we've seen who have died in relation to covid 19 has been Chinese doctors who were overworked, didn't get any sleep and were in constant contact with people with the infection, one died from a heart attack due to overwork. Let's also remember the Chinese were literally building makeshift so called hospitals and shoving people inside them in side by side beds so they would be constantly passing it back and forth between themselves which likely exacerbated the problem and numbers.

Italy which has the largest death rate from Covid 19 actually has one of the largest elderly populations which explains why the rate is higher there so it was to be expected.

I recall an interview with a guy on one of the quarantined cruise ships, he tested positive for the virus yet he explained he did not have ANY symptoms and was fine the entire time, his wife got it and had mild symptoms. I mean come on, I can have a simple common cold and have worse symptoms than what some people with covid 19 are experiencing.

Governments and media have really blown this out of proportion. Yes, the elderly and the those with underlying issues should do their best to avoid getting it but everyone else should go about their day, catch it, fight it, build an immune response and it's over with. Even if they quarantine themselves and get over the virus, soon as they step out again they'll catch it and become a carrier for it regardless and still spread it.

You can't stop gushing water from a dam breach with your bare hands.

3/11/2020 2:15:54 PM #6

Actually, I mentioned this in the CoE common room discord about a week ago. Caspian said that they were following the guidelines that were given to them and taking the necessary precautions, or something to that effect. I don't have the exact quote handy.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

3/11/2020 11:36:48 PM #7

Can we spread diseases in Elyria?

FC: 13AB08

3/11/2020 11:38:29 PM #8

Yes XD

3/12/2020 4:23:52 AM #9

Around 1 billion people are infected with the flu each year, ~646,000 die. That is only ~0.065%. If 1 billion people had resolved cases of Covid-19, then, based on the ~5% in China, there would be about 50 million people that died from it. ~50,000,000 vs ~646,000.

3/12/2020 6:20:47 AM #10

I mean.... 200 died in 24 hours in italy....

3/12/2020 6:41:19 AM #11

Posted By ilakyd at 12:36 AM - Thu Mar 12 2020

Can we spread diseases in Elyria?

Only relevant question or answer in here, lol.

Edit: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/26945/Will-you-survive-the-Searing-Plague-Event

3/12/2020 6:42:31 AM #12

Posted By Avastar at 11:23 PM - Wed Mar 11 2020

Around 1 billion people are infected with the flu each year, ~646,000 die. That is only ~0.065%. If 1 billion people had resolved cases of Covid-19, then, based on the ~5% in China, there would be about 50 million people that died from it. ~50,000,000 vs ~646,000. This is just pushing false information with those numbers because it is not a 5% death rate. It is estimated at 1 to 2% at most right now.

The problem is people thinking it is 5% in china when only 1 area has a reported high rate and the rest of the country is like 0.7%. The rate in China/Iran where the highest death rates are occurring is actually because of the bad way that they have handled it... causing more deaths and a much higher inflated fatality rate... just as what happened with Sars death rates being falsely reported and misunderstood. Also, about 80% of people who died from the virus in China were over the age of 60, and 75% had pre-existing conditions such as heart disease or diabetes

People should just treat it like the normal Flu. The one's dying from it would also most likely die from any other flu strand right now if they didn't get a Flu shot this Flu season.

There isn't yet a Flu shot for Covid-19. The flu shot saves a lot of lives each year. So if your 65 or older and have other health problems then yeah stay at home. If your younger/middle aged and in general good health you have a much greater chance of dying while driving because someone around you is on the phone/texting right now (probably about the stupid virus panic)

3/12/2020 6:49:41 AM #13

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 01:20 AM - Thu Mar 12 2020

I mean.... 200 died in 24 hours in italy....

Yeah Italy has one of the highest elderly population countries with the disease. The national health institute said the average age of those who have died was 81, with the majority suffering from underlying health problems. Old age +bad health= get flu of any type you are going to most likely die.

3/12/2020 7:03:19 AM #14

Also you guys reading and answering should look into where SBS is located.... this is neither China, nor Italy nor the asien subcontinent or africa. Each and every country in the world has diffrent numbers, mortality rate and infection rate. Some numbers in here are just a generalisation for the whole world while others are country specific numbers.....

3/12/2020 7:05:38 AM #15

Apparently Seattle has been kinda hot about it.

But the point is that SbS is taking all the precautions they can, some are working remotely and theyre all doing their best to stay healthy. And thats all that matters