COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What's wrong with it?

I need to understand why some people are so against a completely neutral faction. Personally, I believe it can be both useful and an interesting part of the game.

1/16/2017 5:40:00 PM #1

Explain what you mean by a completely neutral faction? Are merchants not completely neutral to an extent? Can certain kingdoms choose to be neutral until something affects them? Maybe I don't understand what your asking completely.

1/16/2017 5:48:39 PM #2

You can be completely neutral.

Though, if someone decides to try a Coup and you don't help them and they win they make take your neutrality as a slight against them. On the same token if someone performs a coup and you remain neutral and the kingdom defeats the coup the County/Duchy/Kingdom you were part of might not be happy with you for not helping.

If you decide to lead a group of people who are neutral I would first ask your Count, or Duke, or King/Queen if it is okay if you remain neutral in their territory. I could see certain individuals being okay with that.

Being neutral is not something the devs should waste time on when it is easily manageable to be neutral without any in game mechanics.

Unless you mean there should be a faction that cannot be attacked, hurt, and are infallible. In which case I strongly disagree.

1/16/2017 5:55:20 PM #3

Of course you can be neutral in a sandbox MMO ... not sure what OP means here .

1/16/2017 6:49:37 PM #4

You cannot be neutral as a baron or noble. All land belongs to a kingdom in the beginning. So by saying neutral the Baron+ is simply saying upfront I plan to rebel against my liege or at best ignore my kingdom.

If you aren't in political power then yes you can be neutral just not truely neutral as you will still have to follow the laws of the kingdom you are inside of.

1/16/2017 7:15:56 PM #5

Posted By Malais at 10:49 AM - Mon Jan 16 2017

You cannot be neutral as a baron or noble. All land belongs to a kingdom in the beginning. So by saying neutral the Baron+ is simply saying upfront I plan to rebel against my liege or at best ignore my kingdom.

If you aren't in political power then yes you can be neutral just not truely neutral as you will still have to follow the laws of the kingdom you are inside of.

Being neutral doesn't mean you don't follow the laws. There are plenty of Neutral countries in our world but they don't just go breaking international laws and say, "Oops. We are neutral" nor do they get to avoid taxes or international trade agreements.

If there is a Merchants guild, or blacksmiths guild they could remain neutral. Their existence would be a boon to the kingdom they are in and they can make it clear that they don't intend to fight and that they will provide their services to whoever rules the land.

If they discuss this with the nobility first, it could work out in their favor. If they don't discuss this first, it becomes a gamble which I imagine will have consequences.

1/16/2017 7:37:58 PM #6

How do you define neutral? What does that even mean? Neutral relative to what? I mean, think about historical nations. Yeah, name a few that didn't consider themselves basically quote unquote neutral.

The whole idea of "neutrality" basically assumes that these people won't have or develop larger strategic interests which bring them into conflict with other "neutral" nations.

Neutral isn't a goal. Neutral isn't a set of strategic priorities. Neutral isn't even a basic world view. Neutral, neutral is a recruiting gimmick aimed at the unaligned, and a short hand for trying to convinced the aligned you won't try to take over the world... which we all know is a lie.

And that's just the nations. That doesn't even begin to address any given individual being quote unquote neutral.

Everyone, and every faction, will have their own objectives and interests. Sometimes those objectives and interests will conflict. Neutrality doesn't exist. It's just people saying they won't intentional grief you.

1/16/2017 7:52:17 PM #7

Posted By FateWeaver at 1:15 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Being neutral doesn't mean you don't follow the laws. There are plenty of Neutral countries in our world but they don't just go breaking international laws and say, "Oops. We are neutral" nor do they get to avoid taxes or international trade agreements.

If there is a Merchants guild, or blacksmiths guild they could remain neutral. Their existence would be a boon to the kingdom they are in and they can make it clear that they don't intend to fight and that they will provide their services to whoever rules the land.

If they discuss this with the nobility first, it could work out in their favor. If they don't discuss this first, it becomes a gamble which I imagine will have consequences.

Your analogy doesn't really work comparing a town or county in COE to a word power

A better comparison would be like LA stating they weren't going to follow the laws of the US or Montana stating they would negotiate with China on their own since they are neutral.

A guild cannot get away with being neutral if they operate inside a kingdom that has conscription set as a law. Regardless of their guild interests if they are a citizen of a kingdom and are conscripted failing to fight would be a breach of that law and they would face the consequences.

Until a county/duchy declares independence and literally makes a new kingdom or duchy that doesn't have a kingdom(if that's possible) neutrality is a myth in COE.

1/16/2017 7:57:04 PM #8

Apathy is death.

1/16/2017 8:19:46 PM #9

Posted By Malais at 11:52 AM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By FateWeaver at 1:15 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Your analogy doesn't really work comparing a town or county in COE to a word power

A better comparison would be like LA stating they weren't going to follow the laws of the US or Montana stating they would negotiate with China on their own since they are neutral.

A guild cannot get away with being neutral if they operate inside a kingdom that has conscription set as a law. Regardless of their guild interests if they are a citizen of a kingdom and are conscripted failing to fight would be a breach of that law and they would face the consequences.

Until a county/duchy declares independence and literally makes a new kingdom or duchy that doesn't have a kingdom(if that's possible) neutrality is a myth in COE.

I disagree. My analogy works just fine. Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean it is wrong.

It would be more akin to if the writers Guild in LA claimed neutrality. They are not a combative force. They would still follow the laws in LA. They would pay the LA taxes. But if LA decided to go to war with Orange County the writers Guild would refrain from helping the war efforts and instead focus on their craft. Writing.

Using your example. We do have companies in the USA that have factories in other Countries (because we allow it). We do have companies that export to other countries.

The same would be true of a Neutral party.

I was not aware we could conscript whoever we wanted into war? Can you site your source for that? I imagine a group that plans to be neutral would not join a County/Duchy/Kingdom that enforces conscription.

I don't know if you missed it but I am talking about Guilds and not Counts/Dukes.

1/16/2017 8:34:12 PM #10

Whoa. Don't know why we got lost in Analogies.

We can use CoE as the example for CoE, haha.

I am a Count. If a group of players came to me and said, "We love alchemy and want to practice it in your county but we don't want to go to war, and don't want to fight and if someone takes over the lend we will just flip to them".

Having a group that focuses solely on alchemy and researching it, and passes that knowledge, experience, and services through my county would be worth it.

They could remain completely neutral. They would still be expected to pay Taxes and follow the laws.

This one example proves it can work.

1/16/2017 8:39:04 PM #11

Posted By FateWeaver at 9:34 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I am a Count. If a group of players came to me and said, "We love alchemy and want to practice it in your county but we don't want to go to war, and don't want to fight and if someone takes over the lend we will just flip to them".

Having a group that focuses solely on alchemy and researching it, and passes that knowledge, experience, and services through my county would be worth it.

They could remain completely neutral. They would still be expected to pay Taxes and follow the laws.

Sure, but a Mayor/Baron/Count/Duke cannot expect to stay in a Kingdom and remain neutral when shit goes down. Other players can, unless they work for/serve one of the beforementioned ranked people.

Carantenum is looking for more citizens. Click on the signature for more information!

1/16/2017 8:40:06 PM #12

i guess you are new in MMO :D neutral !!!

1/16/2017 8:41:38 PM #13

In history cities with high autonomy existed. Some of these cities were city-states (powerful, independent cities that had enough military to make the cost of removing them too high) and others were free cities. Operating independently is not a new concept.

I believe the OP was using the word neutral to mean that his organization will be impartial to who they're doing business with and will avoid inciting conflict.

1/16/2017 8:48:42 PM #14

Posted By Grayshade at 12:39 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By FateWeaver at 9:34 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Sure, but a Mayor/Baron/Count/Duke cannot expect to stay in a Kingdom and remain neutral when shit goes down. Other players can, unless they work for/serve one of the beforementioned ranked people.

Sure, but no one here has said a Mayor/Baron/Count/Duke can proclaim neutrality.

OP asked if a Faction (Not nobility/aristocracy) so I answered yes, pointing Guilds or groups of people can do that.

You can argue that some Counts/Dukes/Kings would not like that and I would 100% absolutely agree with you.

That doesn't take away from the fact that these people can claim neutrality. That we don't need the Devs to make a mechanic for people to be neutral because they can already do that.

They might have to negotiate to get it. They might struggle more because of it but the option is there for them.

1/16/2017 8:49:31 PM #15

neutral in a pvp sandbox usually results in being neutered :P