COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Is Sean Beeson still involved with the soundtrack?

I was reviewing the Kickstarter campaign info, reminiscing about how far we've come and saw the staff photos. I got curious about Sean's CoE tracks and visited his SoundCloud. Apparently, he's been working on tracks for a shooter and released them a few months ago. The tracks sound pretty great. Just hoping he's still working on CoE stuff too! Any updates or other Elyrian tracks you might be able to share?

3/16/2018 2:09:32 PM #1

No worries. Sean is still very much a part of the project.

3/16/2018 3:50:46 PM #2

Cool! Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to see and hear more good stuff in the coming months. :)

3/17/2018 12:06:53 AM #3

This makes me wonder about how you pay for music for a game like this. I know SBS might not be able to answer how they finance in this instance, but would you buy it by the track, or pay a salary/retainer...? Pay by the hour?

I always like learning little things about the industry like that. XD

3/17/2018 12:30:30 AM #4

Saw this earlier and was hoping someone would get around to directing us to this music for COE, if any of it exists yet :P Does it exist yet? Where is it? -Glances about ravenously-

Eager to hear some of the 'soul' of COE, music is always a wonderful tool for setting the tone and making the moment. Some of my most favorite moments related to music in games, big, Star Wars Galaxies and the epic orchestral music at sunrise and sunset or, small, most recently in Sea of Thieves I get a lil smile everytime that musical note hits indicating our sails have hit full billow capturing max wind power.

3/17/2018 12:45:35 AM #5

Posted By NiHZ at 8:06 PM - Fri Mar 16 2018

This makes me wonder about how you pay for music for a game like this. I know SBS might not be able to answer how they finance in this instance, but would you buy it by the track, or pay a salary/retainer...? Pay by the hour?

I always like learning little things about the industry like that. XD

Generally speaking, people in creative professions charge according to the service they provide as there are many risks and unforeseen challenges when working with a client. Rather than charging by the hour, where a temporary roadblock might up the costs significantly at the client's detriment, you may want to charge an up-front fee, or even a rate per minute.

It's unusual for smaller studios and companies to retain a composer or music team, it wouldn't be cost effective–especially with a game that may experience certain drawbacks throughout the course of its development–nor would it be worthwhile for the composer, who could be working on other projects during that time. Large companies, with many ongoing projects, such as Nintendo or Square Enix may hire employees as part of an actual music team that works in an operating studio around the clock, but that's something you wouldn't see with indie developers.

Hopefully that's of some help.

3/17/2018 10:04:42 PM #6

It is! Thanks. ouo

3/18/2018 7:00:23 PM #7

Oh I am very much still doing the music!! CoE is a game I was born to score 😁

3/18/2018 7:42:19 PM #8

So cool!

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

3/18/2018 8:59:12 PM #9

Posted By SeanBeeson at 12:00 PM - Sun Mar 18 2018

Oh I am very much still doing the music!! CoE is a game I was born to score 😁

Good to see you're still lurking about, Sean. I know a lot of us are eager to hear what you come up with. GLHF :)

3/18/2018 8:59:20 PM #10

That is great to hear, music is so important for the atmosphere in a game and this guy clearly knows what he's doing :)

3/18/2018 9:45:56 PM #11

Since no one has posted this here yet, I might as well do it.

Make decisions based on what you want, not what you want to avoid.