COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Custom Coat of Arms: how "Custom"?

I'm very intrigued by this game and checking out pledge packages.

For the surname and coat of arms, how much flexibility is there? Would I be selecting from and arranging a set of preset elements, or can I create my own shapes and lines?

And are naming conventions fixed or is there total freedom there (assuming ToS is all good)?

1/18/2017 9:36:26 PM #1

I imagine it's a more or less preset group of symbols and the like based on European Heraldry.

Believe it or not, it's pretty standardized and everything has some meaning.

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

1/18/2017 9:58:16 PM #2

id have to think there will be some sort of customization that will allow unique coat of arms to be made for upwards of a few thousand gentry level players, but we will have to wait and see.

Alt text - can be left blank

1/18/2017 9:58:37 PM #3

Seems I can't edit the title of my thread -- but I'd like to broaden it to a more general set of questions about what the pledge rewards really mean.

Like: what are an "adventurer's pack" and "merchant pack"?

Would my character literally start the game with a backpack, or are the packs bundles of digital items intended for adventurers and merchants respectively?

Sorry if this info is more plainly listed elsewhere that I'm not seeing, but I didn't see any details on the pledge page in the shop.

1/18/2017 10:11:16 PM #4

The "pack" items as described elsewhere is a set of items that will help that tier of player out.

Click the arrow in the store for it to expand to this.

Merchant's pack Merchant's Cloak Detailed maps of your home duchy Merchant Scales In-game map of an historical location

Founder's Pack Founder's Title Founder's Cloak Detailed maps of your home county Exclusive access to the Founder's in-game Chat Channel

Adventurer's Pack Adventurer's Title Adventurer's Cloak Backpack Random treasure maps in your home region Collection of trail rations

1/19/2017 5:40:02 PM #5

Thanks -- I missed that info because I had superstitiously avoided clicking the button with the pricetag on it for fear that I would add everything to my shopping cart by mistake!

I see that the three levels of "gentry" pledging each have slight upgrades to available heraldry: the Settler level gets more colors and the Proprietor level gets more symbols.

But -- is it much too early to know what any of those colors or symbols will be, or how freely we'll be able to resize them, move them around, etc?

1/19/2017 5:56:08 PM #6

yes pretty much i would not expect any info for this before land selection realy or just before it.

main goals as we seen them is to orgnize for the land selection with both the website 3.o which will go with it and allow us to internalise our kd organisation

could be wrong and it could be there no 1 goal but i dont see it being the case

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/19/2017 6:31:27 PM #7

Posted By StrawHat at 4:58 PM - Wed Jan 18 2017

id have to think there will be some sort of customization that will allow unique coat of arms to be made for upwards of a few thousand gentry level players, but we will have to wait and see.

The only person who completely gets to customize their crest/sigil/coat of arms is anyone pledged as King/Queen (pledged, not EP). Everyone else gets "access to expanded colors and sigils, with Mantle, Helm, and Name heraldic achievements" meaning we only get what the game provides and we can customize our coat of arms within that scope. The higher ranked you are (read: pledge) the more you get access to.

Think of it like a Call of Duty badge, you get all those shapes and symbols and letters to choose from, but some are locked behind level or achievement. :) CoE's will be similar but locked behind a paywall.

1/19/2017 6:36:39 PM #8

This thread has a more detailed pile of information on how Crests may work, and what you can expect to have upon gaining access to any sort of Crest creation UI.

Also, while Lunaus is correct: Think of it like a Call of Duty badge, you get all those shapes and symbols and letters to choose from, but some are locked behind level or achievement. :) CoE's will be similar but locked behind a paywall.

I will add that all the bobbly bits of the crests and coats of arms will be locked behind that pay wall until the game is launched. After launch, it's locked to achievements you may accrue during your Elyrian lifetime(s). SBS has said that you can gain new names/titles based on your play IG, I will bet that a new or additional name or title also equals a new or addition to your Coat of Arms.

My speculation is that once the game is launched, any sort of UI for crests may also be locked to your level of nobility. Story points may allow you to "improve your lot" and thus obtain/unlock more bits for your Coat of Arms, but that's just my thoughts. There's no real info on how Crests will be handled other than the Devs will make sure all Surnames and Crests/Coats of Arms will be copacetic and PG 13 friendly, as SBS maintains that they are tailoring the game to comply with legal ramifications in certain countries. (Case in point, any toon under the age of 15 cannot be CdG under the same arguement and reasons.)

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

1/19/2017 8:45:13 PM #9

Well, I'm pledging at the bloodline level, and devs, I'm going to need a honeybee, so if there turns out not to be one in the images set, you'll have a grumpy herbalist on your hands!

8/18/2018 3:06:55 AM #10

Well. There goes my idea of arms: sable, an eel or naiant over crossed keys or. There is no way they will have eels.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/18/2018 3:49:32 AM #11

I remember reading that jet black is among the upgraded colors. I upgraded my Bloodline to Settler so that I could be sure of having it available. I'm hoping that more information will be forthcoming before the Proprietor package goes away, so that I will not miss out on a sigil I really want. We have no information on what they will be at all.

8/19/2018 4:55:09 AM #12

This may seem like a trivial issue, but its actually one of the most anticipated things for me.

They've stated elsewhere that they will release the architecture tool to players to play around with, so I see no reason why they can't release a sigil creation tool. Really, a tool isn't even necessary. A simple index of what symbols/shapes/designs are available to what level of pledge, and the associated color pallets would be sufficient.

This is important for several reasons. I've seen numerous eccentric designs for every level of government and guild that will undoubtedly NOT be in the game. Releasing what will be available will rein in expectations.

It's also essential for Kingdoms wanting to structure themselves better. Symbology is important, giving supporters a visual rally point. No flag, no country. (Eddie Izzard anyone? ) And flags are typically just a more simplistic version of a coat of arms. Releasing this early would give kingdoms time to propose designs and if desired create a type of theme within their ranks. I think most nobility will have their own ideas of what they want, but if say a Kingdom has an organization loyal specifically to the crown, it would make sense (honestly it would be necessary) for that organizations sigil/crest to at a minimum heavily reference the symbology of the Kingdom's.

I would hate for the first wars of Elyria to be fought over the right to use a particular symbol or flag design. Releasing this as soon as possible gives kingdoms time to negotiate designs, and gives players a chance to see what their friends and allies will be using. I assume, or at least hope, that multiple families will not be able to have the exact same symbol, so Id personally like to know if someone with more EP or higher ranking than me (which is most people) are looking to create a design I want, so I can go ahead and make something else.

But I'm curious what everyone else thinks. Flags and designs are an irl interest of mine so I'm passionate about it lol.

Nos Non Luxuria Pacis.

8/22/2018 5:12:43 PM #13

I wonder if it will be better or worse than the heraldry editor Life is Feudal had.