COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Parcel and Scale

As a count and future land owner, I understand that one parcel is equal to 64 meters by 64 meters (64^2m). But what does this look like in game set to scale? I would love to have a visual representation of this in the game world. Would it be possible to quickly throw an example together with other standard sized objects so we could get an idea of scale?

I'm also wondering how this will work in cities as 64^2m is just over an acre. If you made the game world on a 1 to 1 in scale with our own I'm wondering how we can achieve the packed in cities and towns effect much like you have shown with the town of Titan Step.

Would the baker, who owns the parcel and has already built his shop on the property, have to build the tavern next to it and just rent it out to whoever wishes to run the tavern? Just trying to get an idea as to how a packed city/town as you have shown would work in the physical space in regards to the property system you are putting in place.

EDIT: To clarify I'm asking is there a way so the "Tavern owner" may own his own building in my given example. As city densities may be high enough that you may have to cram more than one building on a parcel to get the side by side building effect shown in Titan Step. But again this depends on what a phyiscal parcel really is in game.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over. :)

5/2/2017 7:45:56 PM #1

Great questions, I have wondered about that too. We know that renting out buildings on your land will definitely be possible, but it's not clear how much of that will already be in place in communities we select, or whether we'll be able to choose parcels in the middle of town or only around the edges.

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

5/2/2017 7:48:49 PM #2

You as a count/city owner are able to create multiple chunks of land in 1 plot and rent them seperately. What this means is you can have 1 plot of land (64x64) and 'chop' it down into lets say 10 peaces and rent those 10 peaces apart. Does someone want a bigger house? rent them out another chunk.

I cant directly find the source of this but i am almost 100% sure it works this way.

Friend code : 89C21C

5/2/2017 7:49:28 PM #3

Posted By Zimzumus at

I'm wondering how we can achieve the packed in cities and towns effect much like you have shown with the town of Titan Step.

Would the baker, who owns the parcel and has already built his shop on the property, have to build the tavern next to it and just rent it out to whoever wishes to run the tavern? Just trying to get an idea as to how a packed city/town as you have shown would work in the physical space in regards to the property system you are putting in place.

Not everyone can afford or will own land. Land owning is primarily for the aristocracy. In cities and towns the land owners will split the parcels they own up into smaller sections and these will be rented out. One parcel can contain many buildings so one parcel will be leased out to many different people to build on. Land owners will most likely develop the land themselves, building a bakers shop for example and lease out the bakers shop and the other buildings on the parcel and their other parcels. This game is attempting to be true to reality as best as possible for the era it's set in. In the era it's set in, not everybody owned land. The aristocracy who own land in a town or city are part of the town/city council. Those who cannot afford to own land are called the Gentry.

5/2/2017 8:00:24 PM #4

Posted By SoulSpark at 12:49 PM - Tue May 02 2017

Posted By Zimzumus at

I'm wondering how we can achieve the packed in cities and towns effect much like you have shown with the town of Titan Step.

Not everyone can afford or will own land. Land owning is primarily for the aristocracy. In cities and towns the land owners will split the parcels they own up into smaller sections and these will be rented out. One parcel can contain many buildings so one parcel will be leased out to many different people to build on. Land owners will most likely develop the land themselves, building a bakers shop for example and lease out the bakers shop/buildings. This game is attempting to be true to reality as best as possible for the era it's set in. In the era it's set in, not everybody owned land. The aristocracy who own land in a town or city are part of the town/city council. Those who cannot afford to own land are called the Gentry.

According to the shop, Gentry are landowners, just not Mayors. "As a member of the Gentry, you are a sanctioned landowner."

5/2/2017 8:11:57 PM #5

I too have found it frustrating trying to visualize the size of a land plot. Sure its 64 x 64 but that is meaningless to me. I need some scale, what does that plot look like with a wagon and a house on it? How many city shops can you put in a plot? How much crops can you plant? A visual representation showing the scale of the plots would be a huge help.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

5/2/2017 8:33:38 PM #6

I think they've literally also just made the Kingdoms/Duchy's/County's/Towns etc so large that it can fit people in without the need for instancing. Like there's (i think) 3 to 5 Duchy's to a Kingdom, up to 32 County's and then up to 1,000 towns. And that's per server so it should be fine hopefully. Like in the APAC server chat, when referring to the towns, I've heard mention that they're a good 30 minutes apart at best, so that should give a semi-scope of size of the game.

They wanted to avoid instancing so that every house could look unique and since stuff is destructible, it would be too risky to group hundreds of houses into one instance.

In most cases, I'd reckon property won't be too difficult to come by, a part of being Aristocracy is wanting to attract people to the area you govern and entice them to stay. So I think you'll find areas that are willing to rent out land cheaply, and since you can explicit tax contracts with the Mayor/Count/Baron/Duke etc etc, you can come to an arrangement with them. Both perk and negative of dealing with Player leaders is that you can reason with them haha.

In terms of size, yeah I'm pretty sure land parcels can be broken down and distributed? But yeah, a Visual representation would be awesome too - I believe we should be getting something in June. They hinted in the recent Q&A to "Make sure you've got your pledge completed for land selection before the end of May"

5/2/2017 9:02:19 PM #7

Posted By Magykstorm at 9:33 PM - Tue May 02 2017

I think they've literally also just made the Kingdoms/Duchy's/County's/Towns etc so large that it can fit people in without the need for instancing. Like there's (i think) 3 to 5 Duchy's to a Kingdom, up to 32 County's and then up to 1,000 towns.

My friend you are way out of date. There are 12 Duchies to a kingdom and 24 counties to a duchy and the number of settlements is different for every county, some will have as little as one and others will have several that could be in close proximity to eachother.

5/2/2017 9:04:12 PM #8

Posted By SoulSpark at 09:02 AM - Wed May 03 2017

Posted By Magykstorm at 9:33 PM - Tue May 02 2017

I think they've literally also just made the Kingdoms/Duchy's/County's/Towns etc so large that it can fit people in without the need for instancing. Like there's (i think) 3 to 5 Duchy's to a Kingdom, up to 32 County's and then up to 1,000 towns.

My friend you are way out of date. There are 12 Duchies to a kingdom and 24 counties to a duchy and the number of settlements is different for every county, some will have as little as one and others will have several that could be in close proximity to eachother.

I stand corrected - thank you for pointing that out :)

5/2/2017 9:08:36 PM #9

Posted By Sullen at 9:11 PM - Tue May 02 2017

I too have found it frustrating trying to visualize the size of a land plot. Sure its 64 x 64 but that is meaningless to me. I need some scale, what does that plot look like with a wagon and a house on it? How many city shops can you put in a plot? How much crops can you plant? A visual representation showing the scale of the plots would be a huge help.

You can fit either 4 manor houses on a parcel, or 16 houses on a parcel or you can fit 64 Cottages or you can fit 160 wooden shacks.

5/2/2017 9:18:54 PM #10

A visual would be great. If it is at all helpful, we know how tall the people will be. You could take the height of a particular tribe and get a decent idea of how many people laid head-to-toes would equal the 64x64. :)

5/2/2017 9:49:00 PM #11

DunsScotus did a comparison with New York and Skyrim before. Will it help?

Vast Tracks of Land: An Approximate Comparison to New York City

5/3/2017 12:08:16 AM #12

I didn't make this picture, someone kindly did awhile ago to show all the buildings.

5/3/2017 1:30:51 AM #13

that's a handy guide Xeyska. thanks

5/3/2017 5:48:41 AM #14

Yeah that's awesome. This was basically my question on the open topic Q&A. Although I asked too about the thickness of walls.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/3/2017 6:21:22 AM #15

The plot is the smallest unit of land that can be owned by a landowner and tends to come with TAX.

However, within a plot you can house multiple buildings. You may find many plots start out scarcely populated and become increasingly dense over time.

Within a plot, individual rooms, buildings or smaller tracts of land can be sublet.

It does lead to a question though. Will the land management table show plots for sale (with rates) as well as display sub plots, rooms etc to rent, so people are able to find those too? I'm assuming rental agreements would be reached or paid on the plot site in the latter case.