COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Establishing Immersive Behaivior

I wanted to make this thread to talk about something that I think will be important to many people on this server: Immersive Behavior/Roleplaying. The devs can only take us so far in making the world immersive, the rest has to be up to us.

5/9/2018 12:45:18 AM #1

You'd best seek out a roleplay guild/org. It'd be very hard to convince 1000 players or so to rp.

5/9/2018 2:49:38 AM #2

well there will be mechanics in place to encourage RP because like Matriarch said, you cannot force everyone to RP for the sake of RP. But I doubt people will always be jumping around everywhere like a bunny because theres a fatigue system in place and its in the players interest to control it.

There are no nametags so its in the players interest to blend in with the npc crowd at times. Also "what you see is what you get" ; a hunter would look like a hunter, a nobleman would look like a nobleman, a knight would look like a knight....There are a lot of mechanics in this game that I haven't thought to list that encourage roleplay. It would be interesting to see how it works out in the final game.

Beyond those mechanics however, It would depend on the player to choose to go further. For example: If you're in a town/have a backpack with food, you won't go hungry because it is assumed that you have been eating.average players wouldn't manually sit around a camp fire/in a tavern and eat food if theres no reason to, so maybe theres an added benefit to doing it manually that we have yet to be told about...a "buff" perhaps.

alt text

5/9/2018 3:47:20 AM #3

RP encouraged, people will always go into OOC, but take it as it comes, for players waiting for Retail or pledged to anything less then mayor seek out the Counties and Settlements focused on RP.

"Whats normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.”

5/9/2018 4:04:19 AM #4

Depends what type of RP you are meaning. Since most people would be always RPing really. If I'm a smithy, I be doing smithy things thus RPing. It be hard to tell some people apart from NPCs.

While as Isamu said, doubtful people will be jumping around like crazy. While it's doubtful people will be sitting around doing nothing, most MMOs you have so much down time waiting for whatever queue to pop. Without that, you miss half the stupid stuff.

But if you are meaning the RPers that type massive walls of text. Those maybe rarer. Same with the ones that plan to talk in old English, while always typing using the right title when addressing someone.

5/9/2018 5:54:22 AM #5

Posted By Gunnlang at 09:34 AM - Wed May 09 2018

Depends what type of RP you are meaning. Since most people would be always RPing really. If I'm a smithy, I be doing smithy things thus RPing. It be hard to tell some people apart from NPCs.

While as Isamu said, doubtful people will be jumping around like crazy. While it's doubtful people will be sitting around doing nothing, most MMOs you have so much down time waiting for whatever queue to pop. Without that, you miss half the stupid stuff.

But if you are meaning the RPers that type massive walls of text. Those maybe rarer. Same with the ones that plan to talk in old English, while always typing using the right title when addressing someone.

The right title when addressing someone like a king could probably be enforced using an implicit contract (law), fining anyone who doesn't address the king with respect by a few gold/silver ?

and if thats possible I wonder what else the players would try to enforce... no talking (typing) in a library? lol

I think for these types of things it depends on wether the people running the city/making the laws are role players.

alt text

5/9/2018 8:36:58 AM #6

Posted By Isamu at 3:54 PM - Wed May 09 2018

The right title when addressing someone like a king could probably be enforced using an implicit contract (law), fining anyone who doesn't address the king with respect by a few gold/silver ?

I don't see that working for long. Of course how many people would even see the king or anyone that high, for house calls is something else.

I know there are some RPers that have expressed they only talk in RP and won't reply to anyone out of it. Which is all good and well until randoms join not knowing those rules. Then thinking they are stuck up and want to kill them.

5/9/2018 10:14:47 AM #7

RP should largely be a result of doing the stuff that the game provides imo. If CoE delivers on it's promise, then you will be playing a role, like a king or an undercover assasin. Not because you have some premade understanding with some friends about how to roleplay, but because the game itself is a role playing game!

If that really comes to fruition, then I don't think OOC chat is gonna be that big of an issue, if you want to be strict about it just treat anyone doing it as insane :) The chat isn't the one and only source of RP anymore, so it isn't that important to keep it "pure".

5/9/2018 12:31:47 PM #8

To be honest RP is fine but even the most hardcore will have to go OOC if they want to survive. The reason?

Discord/voice coms for battles invasions and sharing information across large distances. If you rely only on in game messages and couriers for a battle you will lose.

Those who don’t RP much like me will have to meet the RPers in the middle. RP events like marriages and parties and such will happen and everyone will likely need to “dress up” and RP for the occasion. When it comes to combat RP goes out the window.

My opinion of course.

5/17/2018 8:26:35 PM #9

The world seems to have some level of magic and if people want to go hardcore RP they could chalk up discord and the like to that I think. To be honest though there's going to be people who won't role play that much if at all and I think there will be players that think doing so is a waste of time. The majority will most likely role play or attempt to role play a decent amount I think, myself included

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

5/17/2018 8:39:34 PM #10

Posted By Malais at 05:31 AM - Wed May 09 2018

Discord/voice coms for battles invasions and sharing information across large distances. If you rely only on in game messages and couriers for a battle you will lose.

I disagree and let me explain why. VioP programs might be a bit of a benefit in battles, however, when you go to battle you are also going to have NPCs and Other players invovled in that battle that are not be part of your discord. So to solely use VioP programs when in battle it could result in half of your army not having a clue what is going on. Thus giving your rival the advantage.

5/17/2018 9:16:12 PM #11

This game could become the greatest RPG released at the time of Release for this game. What that means is that basically everyone will be role playing. The gossip and reputation mechanics are not something to be ignored and even the staunchest power gamers will have to pay attention to these mechanics in this game. Their own nature of amassing as much power to themselves as possible will demand it.

As far as the RP folks that most folks are thinking about when they talk about "RP", well they will definitely be able to have the type of experience they want but they too will have to pay attention to the power side of the game.

That is one of the aspects of this game that I love. It is forcing two types of gamers into a space where they can no longer simply look down upon the other camp. They will have to work together. The Real Economy makes that necessary.

8/12/2018 9:40:03 PM #12

n old MMOs I played, a lot of times if you're targeting someone and use <t> it would autofill their name. The devs can put something like this in place when you're typing so that the title is automatically added, very easy.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

8/12/2018 10:56:11 PM #13

That assumes you "know" their name. Until you learn it, there is nothing for the autofill to add.

I plan to roleplay to a decent extent on the forums, when appropriate in general, and in formal situations in game. Most of the time however, you will be with people you know and just be yourself.

8/16/2018 6:45:14 AM #14

I think a little bit of roleplay is going to happen even for the non-rp types. I think it's just the nature of the game, but I'm sure there will be certain families where it's more important than others.

ayy lmao

8/16/2018 8:18:58 AM #15

Posted By The Zectorian at

I wanted to make this thread to talk about something that I think will be important to many people on this server: Immersive Behavior/Roleplaying. The devs can only take us so far in making the world immersive, the rest has to be up to us.

So... it sounded like you wanted to discuss something here but all you posted was a statement. Did you actually have something in mind?