COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Troubleshoot Your Kingdom Practice4CoE

So you want to see if your management style works in a true Sandbox game? Well this is the thread to push you in the right direction.

Below are a few things to know:

History Doesn’t Work

As models go, our historical narrative is CHOCK full of model civilizations, ways to run a town, manage a castle, wage a war, build infrastructure, reach a golden age, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a game (what we play for entertainment) which would actually serve as a device that repeats historical success.

History isn’t sufficiently modelled by fun-time in a game, and it doesn’t work the other way around.

Using fun-time in an MMO Sandbox, we won’t run castles like Yves de Vescy, won’t build empires like Rome—we won’t in the slightest have all the right conditions to erect Constantinople nor wage wars to plunder it. What we’ll have is our creations and our new history with the tools provided.

We’ll have tools like instant communication, multiple lives, and all types of features afforded by CoE that will affect the outcomes of our efforts.

For a good model to troubleshoot our management in a game, we should play a game. Games serve as good models for like games. What works in one tends to work in a host of others. As an example, if we master one shooter, we’ll have an easier time of it mastering another. If we do well at a platformer, we’ll excel at another. If we’re max level in one MMO, will we reach the pinnacle of another MMO—Not quite, and that brings us to the next tip.

Play the Right Games

MMOs aren’t created equally. If you’ve been gaming for the last decade or even five years, you know this well. You’ve got your grindy MMOs, your themeparks, your sandboxes—you have MMOs which take physical skill, MMOs which take none at all, MMOs that are completely social, and MMOs which you can play… alone? IT’S A BROAD MARKET, so you have to be choosey for the right MMO to troubleshoot your Kingdom.

You put a lot of money down, so you have to try the right test environment that gets you closest to the style that keeps your house, your town, your castle and crown! What you need is an MMO that is an actual sandbox, an MMO with tremendous stakes, an MMO with sufficient risk! The MMO Sandbox is a rare breed. There aren’t many out there. There are a few games which are sandboxes, and they’re abundant. Ark, Minecraft, Survival this and That, but what you want is a game where the only limit on population is interest, and that’s what’s rare.

Without the wide range of population, you don’t know how your well-oiled machine of 64 players will behave when there’s 64 others with a contrary agenda, or another hundred with worries, hopes, and bloodlust!

We may imagine all we want about how we’ll go about prospering, how we’ll counter antagonism, how we’ll spend our time for fun in CoE, but what are we basing that on? The correct answer should be another Sandbox MMO, so below, I’ve compiled a few that I’ve played, but I’m going to shine a special spotlight on a game near and dear to my heart.

Haven & Hearth

This game is what I feel to be the pinnacle of Sandbox MMO genre—a thoroughly mutable world filled with great risk, chiefest among them being an unlimited number of other players!

HnH’s developer company, Seatribe is just a pair of Swedish men, but over several years they’ve cultivated a dedicated cohort of gamers. I among them, we’ve stuck around for the reason that this game is challenging, it’s risky, it makes our sandcastles in the sandbox worth building. It’s a game that treasures balance and creativity, and it’s in many ways a sufficient model for what we’ve been promised in Chronicles of Elyria.

Character lives are not everlasting, giving way to generations. Villages, communities, and personalities rise and fall with the ages. Where your mark may one day vanish from a hilltop, you’ll lock away the delight of having taken the journey at all safely in your memory.

I urge you all to give it a try.

Come January 7th, 2017, Seatribe will give way to World 10, the 10th iteration of Haven & Hearth.

There you’ll be able to begin with a clean slate and over the next few months before KoE, discover if what you imagine you’d do for your community really works in a Sandbox MMO setting.

I for one know I’ll make it the MMO to play with members of my county, duchy, and kingdom to see how we delight in the environment.

The game is free, it is a single shard, it is either an acquired taste or it is fun, so give it a go today! Learn the mechanics, then come January 7th, enjoy the landrush.

Homepage Link: Haven & Hearth

A fun picture thread of someone’s journey through World 9 of HnH: The Revenant: Wulf’s Retreat

Other Games

Life is Feudal

Fun piece of info, Bobik, Life is Feudal CEO was a gamer in the Haven & Hearth community. First days of LiF:YO felt a lot like Haven and Hearth, and while the game has come into its own, you can see today many of the staples that make a good Sandbox MMO. It has recently entered a wider stage of beta. A downside of this game is that its development schedule clashes heavily with CoE in addition it costs money.

EVE

A fair bit of risk, but the theme is futuristic, which may aesthetically be a no-no to many in this community. Many systems don’t entirely line up as well. There are a tremendous amount of safeguards and tools that may too narrowly guide management that it may not sufficiently model the surprises you may run into when playing Chronicles of Elyria. The game has recently moved to a premium account model.

Others I’ve Not Sufficiently Played & Suggestions

Wurm

Ever, Jane - Suggested by Kalexius

As you’ve read through this, you may have thought of games like Darkfall, or some other variant, but I’d challenge that such games are not Sandbox MMOs. These are PvP MMOs. The liberty and risk are not parallel.

Nevertheless, if you suspect an MMO that is a fair model to what’s promised in Chronicles of Elyria, feel free to suggest it and I’ll add it to the list.

While I have the soapbox, I'll advertise my county as a county that'll play an MMO together in the vibrant gaming community that the Kingdom of Ashland is becoming. We don't just do sandbox MMOs, we play everything.

If you'd fit right, join the kingdom, especially the County of Vivecta.

12/30/2016 7:40:40 AM #1

Good post.

I'm seeing a lot of guild recruitment ads that list out ten different bureaucratic titles to be filled that all do extremely narrow clerical work or have very niche duties... and i just shake my head.

12/30/2016 8:05:29 AM #2

I would also suggest adding "Ever Jane" to the list of games

http://www.everjane.com/

Basically is a mmo version of pride and prejudice where you attend balls and gosip etc. Sounds like a good way to learn how to be a gentlemen and lady of the court.

12/30/2016 1:06:02 PM #3

Posted By Kalexius at 08:05 AM - Fri Dec 30 2016

Basically is a mmo version of pride and prejudice where you attend balls and gosip etc. Sounds like a good way to learn how to be a gentlemen and lady of the court.

The problem with using Pride and Prejudice as your basis for courtly life is (aside from the fact that it's set among the gentry rather than the court) that of the time period.

Just as using Jane Austen as a reference for modern courtly life would get you laughed at (or worse) in today's court affecting regency mannerisms in a medieval court would get you killed.

Of course, this is a game, and the majority of the players are likely to be middle class so I expect courtly life to be a mix of poor Arthurian acting, half-remembered regency mannerisms, and dreadful notions about equality and 'classless' societies. And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Coming Soon(tm)

12/30/2016 2:15:47 PM #4

I played Seatribe's spiritual successor of HnH, Salem, that ended up getting sold off in the end. It falls into the same category though. I really liked the concept, but it had too many loopholes in the justice system, as well as a very hostile community. I dunno if HnH have the same issues, but CoE seem to address many of them.

These games are not going to be a perfect depiction of CoE either way, to begin with CoE is supposed to have a more diplomatic PvP system, but it's definitively one of the closer experiences you will find based on what we know so far. As such I can recommend trying some of these as well if one haven't already.

I may give HnH a try at this coming world reset if a decent group from Ashland or CoE want to build a settlement together. Don't feel like going hermit this time. Even if CoE turn out to be a somewhat different experience it'll be a good way to get to know the people one might interact with in CoE.

12/30/2016 2:27:35 PM #5

I dabble a little bit in Mortal Online. It is a full open PVP setting with full loot as well. Although in my opinion that makes it shine is the way combat is handled. if you block on the left you need to be attacked from the right, top or lower. It has the element of player skill involved. You can cancel your swing mid way through and change it to come from the opposite side and go low instead of high.. Timing for parry / block should be a good skill builder for the active combat ive read about.

12/30/2016 4:24:36 PM #6

Gave HnH a try for a few hours this afternoon. Even with the tutorial there's a lot it doesn't teach you that you have to learn through trial and error or reading up/watching youtube videos.

It is pretty good though, seems to have a lot of depth in there but it seems I can't survive long enough to even build myself a house. Although I did have an interesting conversation with a plum tree. Which wanted me to go on an adventure and then return to tell it all about it. Good times.

I may be up for joining up with people to try and get a colony going if enough people are interested. Someone who knows what they are doing would probably help us get started...

12/30/2016 4:43:28 PM #7

I have played Wurm for years. The online version is nice but the Wurm Unlimited version has given the community a lot of options. If you want to practice open world and construction I say give it a try. But it is not for everyone. The construction and crafting can be very detailed. The combat and game animations are a little less than most people desire.

If you want to give it a try and join a great community you can find me on Draconus Arcanum as Bruvar. The folks there are very helpful.