COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Could humans and vampires live together in harmony ?

Could humans and vampires get along I mean humans has advantages that vampires could use and vampires have advantages that humans can use like a big village that accepts vampires instead of kill on sight that would be awesome in my opinion. :D

9/6/2017 8:47:59 AM #1

maybe with "night owl" humans.

9/6/2017 8:53:54 AM #2

Vampires are people too, so I don't see why not. As long as they find their lust for blood on a more acceptable way. Either enemies or animals, take your pick.

9/6/2017 9:13:40 AM #3

I do not believe so. They do not lust for blood, they lust for spirit. They lust for your game time, you money, they affect you financially. Even more so if they get powerful enough they can take your soul, your progress in the game is lost until you can kill the vampire who took it. Those are some pretty major downsides.

So yes you could try and weaponise a vampire and use it against your enemies but do you really want to let one get that powerful? Personally, I do not see that as a risk I would be happy my kingdom taking, and I feel from the information we have NPCs would agree. They have been stated to be kill on sight as you say and I think NPCs will follow that rule, if of course, they manage to identify them as a vampire which would not be easy.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

9/6/2017 9:36:54 AM #4

What's the expression, riding the tiger's back? The problem with peaceful relations with vamps in this setting is that, from what we know so far (subject to change of course), as Victoria said above, is that they literally drain game time from other players, transferring it to themselves to gain playtime. Now, if you are at war often enough that you can give them targets outside your kingdom/duchy/county/village/commune/whatever, good for you, you have a useful soldier. But they run out of targets, guess who's sitting right next to them?

Of course, you could also have a group that RPs a cult worshipping a vampire, with them willingly giving their essence to this, but the first scenario is more likely, not that that's saying much considering how absurdly rare vampirism will be, and how reluctant someone would be to reveal themselves as one.

9/6/2017 10:13:25 AM #5

Aesop's Fables, "The Farmer and the Viper" comes to mind.

All these sparkly vegetarian vampires are ruining the definition.

9/6/2017 10:50:28 AM #6

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 05:13 AM - Wed Sep 06 2017

I do not believe so. They do not lust for blood, they lust for spirit. They lust for your game time, you money, they affect you financially. Even more so if they get powerful enough they can take your soul, your progress in the game is lost until you can kill the vampire who took it. Those are some pretty major downsides.

So yes you could try and weaponise a vampire and use it against your enemies but do you really want to let one get that powerful? Personally, I do not see that as a risk I would be happy my kingdom taking, and I feel from the information we have NPCs would agree. They have been stated to be kill on sight as you say and I think NPCs will follow that rule, if of course, they manage to identify them as a vampire which would not be easy.

Source that they take game time?

9/6/2017 11:01:31 AM #7

Posted By Hellhound_40k at 03:50 AM - Wed Sep 06 2017

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 05:13 AM - Wed Sep 06 2017

From a (VERY VERY VERY) early post by Caspian: "The other half of that, which wasn't previously touched upon, is there is a race of people - Vampires - who feed on the spirit/souls of others. Weaker Vampires just drain spirit from their targets, reducing their overall life span. The more powerful Vampires can consume a person's soul entirely, sustaining them for much longer, and increasing their power. Doing so "captures" the soul, making it no longer playable by the owner. As well, the person who lost their soul becomes a Vampire themselves. A Vampire is extremely difficult to kill, and has many of the known advantages/disadvantages from lore.

If you do manage to kill a Vampire, however, it's permadeath for them. As well, any souls they'd consumed and hold onto are released to the Akashic Records.

In short, Vampires are among the worst creatures in Elyria, and they are always KoS."

Now, worth pointing out this was said way back in 2015. I don't know if there's more recent official updates on vampirism, or if it's changed, but that post was the first time it was officially detailed.

Also, the faith in humanity shown in the "always KoS" bit amuses me.

9/6/2017 11:46:25 AM #8

I think it would be hard because vampires will need to consume a population over time with spirit draining to survive. Maybe if they had a deal with the village or county it'd work, but there are so many risks to it

9/6/2017 12:03:52 PM #9

No

9/6/2017 12:17:16 PM #10

Because they drain game time and are eventually able to make people's souls unplayable I would prefer to exterminate them rather then let them run amok and grow more and more powerful over time.

9/6/2017 12:18:24 PM #11

Posted By Hellhound_40k at 11:50 AM - Wed Sep 06 2017

As Etherion said they were spoken about a while back. Here is the link from which their quote is taken.

Just to clarify that the amount of spirit you have determines how long you live. You would normally only lose spirit if you received a killing blow and had to spirit walk back to your body which reduces your overall life span. But vampires also feast of that same spirit meaning if you become their food your life span would be reduced.

There isn't really anything more recent as these are a rare and mysterious beast that hasn't been seen in Elyria for a long time. The Developers have told us all they are going to it seems, and will now simply give you the roleplay response that such beasts are unheard of in Elyria.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

9/6/2017 12:36:40 PM #12

Can wolves and rabbits live in harmony?

9/6/2017 12:51:03 PM #13

Posted By Scheneighnay at 05:36 AM - Wed Sep 06 2017

Can wolves and rabbits live in harmony?

The vamp - wolf comparison is tough to gauge the accuracy of, but I certainly wouldn't describe humans as rabbits, as a sufficiently skilled non-vamp player should be able to kill a vamp, which I don't see a rabbit being able to do to a wolf unless the wolf choked on a bone or something.

To use your animal metaphors though, you could look at the relationship between sharks and remora fish, where the remora helps keep the shark healthy by cleaning it, and in return the shark doesn't eat it, and the remora gets left-over food. To return to vamps and humans, the equivalency would probably be humans helping hide the vamp, or something similar, and then they get to loot bodies and such, and also not die.

9/6/2017 4:31:55 PM #14

My blood is mine! Fuck vampires and those blood drive people! I don't care if my blood type is O-! It's mine!

9/6/2017 5:09:47 PM #15

Posted By CheshireGuevara at 11:31 AM - Wed Sep 06 2017

My blood is mine! Fuck vampires and those blood drive people! I don't care if my blood type is O-! It's mine!

Greedy and selfish.

For just 20 cents a day you too can help feed a hungry vampire.

Joking aside I like how folks have tried to reason one way or the other. Bottom line you cannot EVER live in harmony with something that thinks you are food.

Do cows and pigs like it or do they just not realize they will get chopped up and eaten? I suppose a vampire would make a good count. Provide extra food and water to make sure their herd is juicy and plump when it comes time to harvest.

The only deal I'd make with one would be a child contract or two to end up with a hybrid for an heir. Likely an achievement tied to it. Beyond that not real smart to hang out with someone who's only a bad day away from needing a drink...