COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A Treatise on the Social Contract, Rights, and Privileges of the Nobility of Elyria

Noblesse Oblige

A Treatise on the Social Contract, Rights, and Privileges of the Nobility of Elyria

It is with great forethought do I put quill to parchment and attempt an explanation of the previously inexplicable - that is to say, the concerns of titles afforded to the nobles of the land. It is certain that when one can discusses nobility, they can feel the underlying power that they carry, but it is difficult at best to remember exactly what power is conferred and what obligations they hold in return for the power they wield. The purpose of this undertaking is to discuss where such power comes from, what this noble power entails, and what obligations this power brings forth. One caveat that must be made is that this essay discusses the obligations between the Lord and his people and not the interactions between the different nobles of the land.

On the source of Noble Power and Authority

It is with some trepidation that an answer to the question of where noble power originates from must and will be answered herein. There are those who would disagree with the assessments made here and the discussions brought forth by this will only serve to further the goal of understanding the duties, obligations, and powers of the nobility. There are multiple possibilities one must consider. These are the Divine Right, the Gold Right, and the Given Right. Each denotes a possible source of noble power, which must be assessed to determine if this is the core of what makes one nobility.

The Divine Right

The first source of power that under examination is the Divine Right. In considering the various faiths of Elyria, when viewing the particular religions, the Faedin and Virtori most prominently come to mind. The Faedin denote that being born noble denotes not that one’s soul is marked to rule but that it has been found able to weather the trials and tribulations of nobility. The souls born as noble Mann are not blessings, but tests of character one must endure and surpass to be reincarnated as Mann still. One may argue that the Virtori faith may differ on this opinion. The Virtori purport the existence of gods that correspond to the seven virtues, and this may be the source of a form of divine right. However, if it was, the people who assumed this divine right would already be in possession of these virtues at birth, which is never the case as each Mann must make the choice between Virtue and Vice, and Mann is possessed of the potential for both Vice and Virtue at the time of birth. With these factors being considered, the Divine Right does not appear as a source of a Noble’s power, but more of a test of their ability to handle such power.

The Gold Right

The second source that must be considered is the Gold Right. Does wealth confer noble power? Upon first glance, it seems to. The ability to buy land, enough to be considered a Count by the Duke, does have merit and precedence. This also seems to be the way that villages and towns select their Mayors, by looking among majority shareholders of their settlement. However, this does not work at all levels of nobility. A Duke does not own his Counts’ land, nor does the King own the land of his Dukes. A Duke holds the oaths of loyalty and fealty of his Counts, and the King holds the oaths of his Dukes. These oaths of loyalty and fealty cannot be measured by monetary means, for can one put a price on one’s honor and trustworthiness? As the Virtori say, “Virtue is more valuable than any gold or riches Mann may make”. Therefore, the Gold Right can make one owner of lands and peoples, powerful in word and deed, and raise one’s station into the aristocratic and noble circles but cannot instill nobility in Mann.

The Given Right

As stated in the previous section, the King and Dukes hold the oaths of loyalty and fealty of those below them. This is something that can be called “The Given Right”. It is this concept that the Counts “give” one of their number the privileges, obligations, title, and prestige that comes with being a Duke. Likewise, the Dukes choose from among their number, in whatever fashion, to serve one of their number who becomes a “King”. Even as we look at the lower tiers of nobility and aristocracy, the Counts are given control of their territories by showing that they hold the land and its peoples’ benefits closest to heart. Should they prove unfit for this position, the peoples of their lands take action to replace their local lord with one who would better serve their needs. It is this Given Right that makes one noble.

On the Obligations and Powers of the Nobility

Now that it has established what is the source of a noble’s power, one should then look at what this power is, and what obligations arise from holding this power. The manner in which these powers will be discussed is obligation centric, meaning that one must first consider the obligations of Nobility, and then look to understand what powers are granted to the Lord to meet those obligations. The obligations of the Lord is to hold dear the prosperity of his domain, by promote the prosperity and security of the Land and the People. Should the Lord succeed on all fronts, then he should have no fear of internal strife or those who seek his title and lands for anything other than personal greed. Now, when obligations are made known by nobles, they must have the power to meet those obligations, granted to them by their citizens. These powers granted by the citizenry are used by the Lord to promote prosperity and increase the common good.

Prosperity of the Land

Now, the first obligation that any Lord has is to ensure and promote the prosperity of the Land. The Lord is tied to the land, as it is his charge granted to him by Given Right. As such, he has the responsibility to be hold the Land most dear, and promote the land as needed. This is executed through the creation of public infrastructure, the management and conservation of natural resources, and the preservation of the natural wealth and beauty of the Land.

Prosperity of the People

The second of these obligations is that the Lord must provide for the prosperity of his people. This includes the protection of the sanctity of The rights of Mann , the facilitation of public needs and desires, and allow an open forum to discuss of the needs and desires of the citizenry. With regards to the rights of Mann, the Lord must ensure that the Rights of Being, Affair, and Thought are being adequately protected under a fair and just framework of law. The facilitation of public needs and desires will be ensured under a fair and just framework of taxation. To understand these needs and desires, the Lord must have a forum for discussion for the citizenry to express these needs and desires.

Security of the Land and People

The final of these obligations is at once the most readily thought of and the most basic of a Lord’s obligations. The Lord is to provide adequate security for the Land and People under his jurisdiction. Should he fail in this obligation the anarchy that will ensue will prevent any other obligations from being met. The Lord should assume this is his first obligation to meet and and from it will follow the freedom to pursue the others.

The creation of a framework of Laws and Taxation

To provide for the prosperity and security of the Land and its people, the Lord has the power to create a framework of Laws and Taxation to be followed by any who fall within his domain. These laws are created to ensure that the rights of Mann are being protected and that no one Mann may infringe upon the rights of another. Under this framework, there will be two types of Laws provided, Laws of Consequence and Laws of Ordinance. Laws of consequence shall be included to state just punishments for the infringements upon the rights of others. These laws are to protect the citizen’s rights, and also to provide a fair and just arbitration between members of the community when disputes arise. Laws of ordinance shall be included to state the due process of the Lord’s officials, and the manner in which public businesses and services shall conduct themselves. Under these two types of laws shall the Lord create a safe and just society for his citizens to flourish under. In the matter of taxation, the Lord shall create Laws of Ordinance that describe a fair tax system that applies equally to all citizens. These taxes are used to promote the common good through public works and infrastructure.

The Raising of Soldiers

To promote the security of the Land and its people, the Lord has the power to raise soldiers from the citizenry, that is funded by the public coffers, to protect the interests of the land and its people. This military power is granted by the people to their Lord to enforce the framework of laws and taxation, to safeguard his people against outside aggression, and to provide for the safe passage of those who travel within his domain.

Direction and Prioritization of Public Works

In so far as the Lord has the obligation to provide public infrastructure and services to promote the common good, the Lord also has the power to prioritize these works based upon the needs and desires of the populace as a whole. This power is to allow for the Lord to prioritize the greatest needs of the people and direct the progress of these projects as he sees fit.

In Conclusion

The purpose of this was to understand the obligations of Lords, the powers that must be held by the Lord to meet these obligations, and to discuss where the right to rule originates. Upon these obligations of prosperity and security, a social contract is built under which the Lord is granted the ability to promote the common good for all within his domain. The Lord derives power not from divine right, nor material wealth, but he does receive it from the loyalty and devotion of his people. His citizens people give the Lord the right to rule, and this right may be taken away from those do not meet the obligations of Nobility.

4/6/2018 1:07:26 AM #1

4/6/2018 1:20:25 AM #2

Awesome

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

4/6/2018 3:59:24 PM #3

Well written. I think it is important to have an open discourse on the rights of not only the people but also the obligations of the leadership.

Often I see that nobility is more concerned with proving how important they are and not caring about the obligations they have to their people.

A leader is only as powerful as the people who give him that power. If you do nothing to raise up your people and empower them, you are nothing as a leader.

4/6/2018 6:12:08 PM #4

I like the write-up and in theory great idea/discussion topic.

Now that said in a MMO a leader or a noble is only interested in helping those who are part of their specific clique or in MMO terms their guild. Beyond those individuals who pvp with them and back them in crafting and server politics a leader regardless of station will screw over everyone else to help only their closest few. I truely hope I’m wrong but I see after a few months all nobility being those who are traditional guild leaders or who have managed to put together a group/alliance to back them. Real world concerns of the people and divine right taking a back seat to mmo pragmatism.

4/7/2018 3:55:57 AM #5

Malais, I do see your point in this regard. However, it is the ideal that a Lord cares for the people who live under him. Your concept of MMO pragmatism holds merit, however this is a difference between land based organizations, such as the county, duchy, or kingdom, and people based organizations, such as associations, schools, and guilds. If the Lord follows the ideas of a land based organization, then everyone who lives upon the land he holds and follows the rule of law would be in essence one of his guild members.

4/7/2018 5:52:06 AM #6

Fantastic to see this presented. From my prospective i see the quality and Virtue in such a Treatise, which though not religiously based, still exemplifies the strength of brotherhood between Mann and the virtue birthed by good will.

I was looking forward to seeing this Jax. It came out just a good as i hoped. Its a strong argument and the better i've seen, in combination with the Rights of Mann, for a conversation on how to strengthen the social contract between both nobility and citizen.

I look forward to the discussion among those far deeper into the Civil nobility side. But from my particular perch, i can only endorse this.

4/7/2018 8:18:37 AM #7

While that's all good and well, people will construe this post to mean anything they want. Just like any other law that protects others rights. People think they have obligations. Sure, obligations to do what you promised for one another. In other words, this is accomplished in many facets of how you decide to organize one's domain.

There is nothing, at least should, be nothing a noble can do that a gentry can't do. You wouldn't or shouldn't be able to murder anyone, just like the citizens shouldn't be able to murder anyone. You shouldn't be able to steal from anyone, just like citizens shouldn't be able to steal from anyone. You shouldn't be able to cage anyone, just like citizens shouldn't be able to cage anyone.

If you catch my drift here, nobility isn't afforded any right that the citizens themselves don't have. If the nobility has things that they are able to do that a citizen isn't able to do. Things will go south pretty fast.

Consequently, this is a game based on tribal feudalism. The people in power have the land to sell to the lower spectrum folks, but with that you only are obliged to protect peoples property, and enforce the property rights, and thereby the contract you've signed with each land owner. Same with rent if you are a mayor. And those people that sign that contract have obligation to what they promised the noble or aristocracy for the land.

Taxation in any form that it is derived should be voluntary. The lame idea that there is a such thing as a "social contract" is rather obtuse. It only means that the lords above you have rights that you otherwise don't have. Mechanically, that can be true. Honestly, I hope lords and aristocrats wouldn't be such persons that would over-reach their power and be over bearing with the laws they will seek to pass in their town, or domain.

People naturally will resist being controlled, coerced, and forced to do things they otherwise wouldn't do. The Cop-out that is a "social contract" only exists for those that like to be controlled and led by a governmental figure. You must want to work with people fairly, and treat your domain as a business when you implement policies that would or may become profitable for your domain, as well as the citizens within the domain.

The goal of nobility should be to protect those within the domain, in both economically, and physically. How that is achieved fairly is working with a system that people will agree with and those projects. You can do this by permits to use what ever service or land.

Your goal as nobility isn't and shouldn't be how to redistribute wealth to those you think needs it, or yourself as a figure of the state to implement things your people otherwise wouldn't want.

I'll leave it at this, work with each and every citizen, don't pick favorites. Most importantly, don't position yourself in such a way that would make others question what you are doing. Generating wealth unfairly, or giving other people wealth that they've not earned can only end in disaster of those with envious eyes. In contracts the obligations go both ways, and isn't one sided for the citizens or the nobility. The citizens want the service or use of the land that the noble offers, they have obligations themselves. To fill on their end of the bargain too.

4/7/2018 9:26:22 AM #8

I approve of this 100%!

4/7/2018 9:41:55 AM #9

Definitely an interesting read.

4/7/2018 12:51:07 PM #10

Posted By Gunghoe at 09:18 AM - Sat Apr 07 2018

While that's all good and well, people will construe this post to mean anything they want. Just like any other law that protects others rights. People think they have obligations. Sure, obligations to do what you promised for one another. In other words, this is accomplished in many facets of how you decide to organize one's domain.

There is nothing, at least should, be nothing a noble can do that a gentry can't do. You wouldn't or shouldn't be able to murder anyone, just like the citizens shouldn't be able to murder anyone. You shouldn't be able to steal from anyone, just like citizens shouldn't be able to steal from anyone. You shouldn't be able to cage anyone, just like citizens shouldn't be able to cage anyone.

If you catch my drift here, nobility isn't afforded any right that the citizens themselves don't have. If the nobility has things that they are able to do that a citizen isn't able to do. Things will go south pretty fast.

Consequently, this is a game based on tribal feudalism. The people in power have the land to sell to the lower spectrum folks, but with that you only are obliged to protect peoples property, and enforce the property rights, and thereby the contract you've signed with each land owner. Same with rent if you are a mayor. And those people that sign that contract have obligation to what they promised the noble or aristocracy for the land.

Taxation in any form that it is derived should be voluntary. The lame idea that there is a such thing as a "social contract" is rather obtuse. It only means that the lords above you have rights that you otherwise don't have. Mechanically, that can be true. Honestly, I hope lords and aristocrats wouldn't be such persons that would over-reach their power and be over bearing with the laws they will seek to pass in their town, or domain.

People naturally will resist being controlled, coerced, and forced to do things they otherwise wouldn't do. The Cop-out that is a "social contract" only exists for those that like to be controlled and led by a governmental figure. You must want to work with people fairly, and treat your domain as a business when you implement policies that would or may become profitable for your domain, as well as the citizens within the domain.

The goal of nobility should be to protect those within the domain, in both economically, and physically. How that is achieved fairly is working with a system that people will agree with and those projects. You can do this by permits to use what ever service or land.

Your goal as nobility isn't and shouldn't be how to redistribute wealth to those you think needs it, or yourself as a figure of the state to implement things your people otherwise wouldn't want.

I'll leave it at this, work with each and every citizen, don't pick favorites. Most importantly, don't position yourself in such a way that would make others question what you are doing. Generating wealth unfairly, or giving other people wealth that they've not earned can only end in disaster of those with envious eyes. In contracts the obligations go both ways, and isn't one sided for the citizens or the nobility. The citizens want the service or use of the land that the noble offers, they have obligations themselves. To fill on their end of the bargain too.

Taxation isn't voluntary though, everyonewill pay taxes or they would be breaking the law in pretty much any kingdom.

4/7/2018 9:33:47 PM #11

Posted By Maulvorn at 08:51 AM - Sat Apr 07 2018

Posted By Gunghoe at 09:18 AM - Sat Apr 07 2018

Taxation isn't voluntary though, everyonewill pay taxes or they would be breaking the law in pretty much any kingdom.

If you aren't creative enough, and have to make it not voluntary then well that's on you.