COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Announcing the Subject Matter Expert program!

Introduction

As you know, we've been gearing up DJs on crafting, communication, and other subjects. As the design team iterates further and builds more and more systems that will ultimately end up in Chronicles of Elyria, we get to a point where we want to ensure as much realism as possible. With a small team, it isn't always realistic that we can do enough research to be certain the immersion level we desire is met. Since all of this is happening now, we decided to enable the third of several community volunteer programs that has been eagerly waiting for its day to come.

It is with great pleasure that I introduce you to our newest program, the Community Subject Matter Expert, or SME.

We have specific areas of expertise that we're seeking input on. This list is subject to change, and is not all-inclusive.

If you feel you have advanced skills in one of these areas and your time and knowledge could be of benefit to Soulbound Studios on a volunteer basis, you may be a SME candidate!

Areas of Expertise

(This list is not exhaustive)

1. Experimental Archaeologist or Historian

a. Medieval Brewing
b. Medieval Beekeeping
c. Medieval Dyes and Paints
d. Medieval Cooking
e. Medieval Medicine/Diseases
f. Medieval Metalworking
g. Medieval Pottery craft
h. Medieval Masonry
i. Medieval/Middle Ages Society (Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, North America)
j. Medieval Navigation/Wayfinding
k. Medieval trapping/fur trade
l. Medieval Social Structures/Politics
m. Medieval Religions
n. Medieval Military History
o. Classical History
p. Mythology
q. Medieval History
r. Historical Sports
s. Historical Games
t. Historical Gambling

2. Medieval Leatherworking

a. Leather Treatments
b. Leather working techniques

3. Hunting/Tracking

a. Techniques used
b. Things to look for

4. Mining

a. Medieval Mining Techniques
b. Medieval prospecting techniques
c. Techniques used
d. Things to look for

5. Metalworking

a. Techniques for Smelting
b. Techniques for Casting

6. Jewelry Making

a. Techniques for Gem Cutting
b. Techniques for Goldsmithing
c. Techniques for Silversmithing

7. Medieval Painting

a. Materials Used
b. Paint Preparation

8. Medieval Cartography

a. Materials Used
b. Techniques Used

9. Architecture

a. Techniques Used
b. Medieval Styles/Materials used

10. Medieval Scrivening/Book Binding

a. Techniques for Book binding
b. Techniques for Paper Making
c. Materials used for Book binding

11. Medieval Farming Experience

a. Day-to-day activities
b. Tool used
c. Typical crops grown
d. Pests to look out for, common problems

12. Tailoring/Fiber making Experience

a. Medieval Thread making (Techniques, Materials)
b. Weaving (Techniques, Materials)
c. Sewing (Techniques, Materials)

13. Animal Training/Taming

a. Techniques for dealing with wild/unbroken animals
b. Training Techniques
c. Animal/Mount equipment

14. Medieval Martial Arts

a. European Martial Arts
b. Asian Martial Arts
c. African Martial Arts
d. South American Martial Arts
e. North American Martial Arts

15. Chemist

a. Ancient/historical chemistry

16. Linguist

17. Astrologer

a. Chart Reading
b. Star Motion Mapping

18. Religious Studies

a. Tao
b. Shinto
c. Zoroastrianism
d. Catholicism
e. Jainism

19. Economist

20. Lawyer/Legal Historian

21. Musician/Music Historian

22. Meteorology

If your skillset isn't listed above have no fear, more opportuinities may become availalble in other areas in the future.

Who is eligible?

To ensure we don't have a bunch of experts sitting around twiddling their thumbs, we'll be inviting our experts to apply in stages, based on the current project(s) the dev team is working on.

Initially, we'll be invitng Chemists, Farmers, Smiths, Linguists, and Tailors to apply to become our very first official SMEs.

Expectations, requirements and standards.

Now that you know what the SME program is about and what we're looking for, let's discuss a little more about how the program will work.

We have put together the SME Guidebook on all the things related to being a SME, expectations etc.

How do you apply?

Feel like you've got the right stuff?

If you have read the SME Guidebook, examined the requirements and expectations, and still feel you'd make a great candidate, go ahead and apply!

Click this link to view the SME application and Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Note: You'll need access to a printer and scanner in order to complete these steps.

Conclusion

If you have any questions about this program, please reply to this thread or email us at [email protected].

We are excited to launch this as our third volunteer community program. With the SME program, we'll integrate your valuable and experienced feedback directly into Chronicles of Elyria.

Thanks for your interest!

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

5/9/2018 7:01:01 PM #1

I'm looking foward to all the entries from the community and seeing their contributions added to the game. :D

5/9/2018 7:03:03 PM #2

Hajemisaito for medicine

alt text

5/9/2018 7:08:49 PM #3

Awesome! Some people are a wealth of information in different subjects. Could a person be a SME in more than one area or is SBS trying to limit contributions to one area alone? For example a Metal worker might have in depth knowledge of medieval metalworking practices, as well as modern practices and jewelry making

Or a an actual university degreed medieval historian might also have an in depth knowledge on the unrelated topic of tracking and hunting from growing up and personal experience with trophies to demonstrate.

5/9/2018 7:09:00 PM #4

I look forward to applying for the Historical Sports position once it is available. Will we receive official updates on the CoE Discord when you open up the application process to the next group of positions?

Corialli, Count of Louise

5/9/2018 7:11:50 PM #5

Nice, I hope you'll find all those experts. Sadly I'm not an expert in any of those fields and probably won't be in any fields you need.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

5/9/2018 7:12:19 PM #6

Posted By Corialli at 12:09 PM - Wed May 09 2018

I look forward to applying for the Historical Sports position once it is available. Will we receive official updates on the CoE Discord when you open up the application process to the next group of positions?

Yes, it would make sense for us to send out an update both there and here. Great question!

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

5/9/2018 7:15:59 PM #7

Might need a small "team" of people for some of these subjects.

Hardcore gamer regulated to a casual status do to real life. sigh

5/9/2018 7:30:32 PM #8

I've been doing hobby smithing and leather working for years. I don't have any formal education nor official documentation. Would I still be eligible to sign-up?

edit: I've also done casting (aluminium, copper, brass)

"It is foolish to sit lamenting for what cannot be had."
- the Volsunga Saga.

Crafter and gamer.

5/9/2018 7:36:23 PM #9

You guys are absolutely amazing! I never saw a game which let his community help them in such a big way. A big thump up for this and I hope, that you find the experts you need!

Unfortunately, I'm only a programmer, so there is probely no Area of expertise for me XD

5/9/2018 7:39:25 PM #10

What an incredible opportunity for people to contribute! I am awed at Soulbound's continued willingness to engage their community in such an incredible and open way. Can't wait to see who signs up!

Sha'harizi County - Capital City of Ah'wena - Countess Aria - Kitlandria!

5/9/2018 7:46:19 PM #11

This is so cool! I do have a few questions though.

When we apply, I'm assuming we're applying as one of the bullet points under an area of expertise, as some of those points are very large topics. If we have knowledge in multiple bullet points of info under one area of expertise (i.e. say I can provide info for a. & c. under number 10), can we apply to both of those, or only one?

Additionally, can we apply to multiple bullet points under different areas of expertise (i.e. say I can provide info for a. under number 10 and b. under number 7)?

Of course that's not to say we'd hold 2 areas of expertise, as I'd imagine SBS would want to fill them with different people. Simply asking about the ability to apply to multiple.

5/9/2018 7:47:55 PM #12

I disagree with this program as it currently stands. I feel that many people who take this as a hobbyists as long as they have sources to back their knowledge up. With all the requirements for this program and assuming the amount of time and dedication required for it, it could be a fun thing for people to do but the demands that it requires is a bit high for mere volunteer work in my opinion.

“He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.”

5/9/2018 7:48:05 PM #13

I'll ask to you guys in the mail for what do you expect of a chemist :D

5/9/2018 7:55:51 PM #14

I agree with Teutknight, I feel that if they instead made the bar of "entrance" a bit lower, but required several, trustworthy sources to be quoted each time they ask for something, opens up for other people to actually have fun with it. And at the same time saves SBS from searching through sources of information that might not interest them. Not to mention they could spar with each other in each group, which is great for finding the "right" information, especially with people who interest are the same.

Right now it sounds more like a position you would actually be able to receive a hire from, especially with the high entrance bar.

But then again, if SBS gets enough applications with this form it'll be okay, I only want this game to be the best it can be in the end and succeed. :)

5/9/2018 8:01:21 PM #15

Posted By TEUTknight at 3:47 PM - Wed May 09 2018

I disagree with this program as it currently stands. I feel that many people who take this as a hobbyists as long as they have sources to back their knowledge up. With all the requirements for this program and assuming the amount of time and dedication required for it, it could be a fun thing for people to do but the demands that it requires is a bit high for mere volunteer work in my opinion.

I tend to agree with Tuet. I've been to a couple Ren fairs and SCA events, and the blacksmiths there were all hobbyists. That didn't mean they don't know what they're talking about though, and it doesn't mean they're not historically accurate (SCA in particular). I think there should be some kind of way to recognize those without 'official' documentation, especially in the case of blacksmithing. If I apprenticed to a modern smith, I probably don't know half the shit about medieval smithing that an SCA guy knows.