COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribal Equipment Exploration: Waerdic Glaive

Good tidings, friends,

I must say, that Drasean Sword created quite the stir. This community certainly takes its combat instruments seriously! I'm interested to see what you folks make of this Glaive of the Waerd.

Each biome presents its own challenges and has different materials available. The Waerd do not possess any physical advantages against the creatures in the Semi-Arid desert so having something with a bit of reach comes in handy. Limited access to high-quality metals means that many weapons are crafted of impure ore.

This is a fairly basic weapon that would be found commonly among the Waerd. Additional adornments or higher quality materials could be used to make a fancier version.

Stay shiny,

Vye

6/23/2018 4:50:46 PM #46

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS !!!!

Even a grain of sand can hide mountains

6/23/2018 5:22:27 PM #47

The part im mostly curious about is if the glaive is the blade style itself, the blade and handle combination, or... etc.

If it's simply the blade, perhaps we can have a longer handle and itll still be called a glaive. If its the particular combination maybe a different weapon name will be present if we have longer handles attached to that particular blade style.

What about that point facing inwards? Can we angle it outwards or adjust it to be in a different location?

Essentially the main point/thought I'm getting at is... perhaps what we see isn't all we get or the only consideration to make.

6/23/2018 5:33:52 PM #48

To everyone picking nits, keep in mind that smithing will allow for modularity in design. Do you find the pole to be too short? Add a longer one! Too long for your intended purposes? Have the smith shorten the pole! Don't like it at all? Buy a sword!

Problems solved.

6/23/2018 8:12:13 PM #49

Teland,

I very much hope you are right about the ability of crafters to manipulate and alter the designs and recipes. The ability to take RL skill and knowledge and apply it in game is something I am very much hoping for.

If that is possible I would change the design of this one. Only a little though. I mostly like it.

%5D(https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19014/naw-drakemoore)

6/23/2018 9:40:36 PM #50

Posted By Dariusacmar at 12:28 PM - Sat Jun 23 2018

@Jouten Hook, yank towards you, then push with the weapon, stab with point on the inside, rinse and repeat.

Far too many steps for a single attack with problems trying to get the point in and trying to disengage (dude's face could get stuck and you can't get the weapon out cuz of the crescent blade behind it.

6/24/2018 3:46:06 AM #51

Interesting. I like this, it looks promising for the eventual discovery and creation of war scythes. (Yes, I know they're impractical and my obsessions is unhealthy. Sue me :P)

I do agree that the barb on the lower blade looks somewhat impractical, though. Maintaining control of a captive with the prong sounds like something that would be a nightmare in practice, especially without built-in voice chat in the game.

Are both sides of the larger blade sharpened? Or is the inside blade blunt and intended for dismounting more than injury?

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

6/24/2018 3:10:20 PM #52

I like it!

6/24/2018 5:22:36 PM #53

Just a couple of things I keep seeing that some people seem to be missing with this weapon...I don't think it is designed to be used the way many of the posters are formulating as the basis for their posts...because the wielders are not going to be using it in formations or as/against cavalry.

Remember that The Waerd do not line up and fight in set piece battles.

I don't think you will see formations of Waerd running about with these. I also don't believe they are supposed to be used against men in armor at all. I see it more as a utilitarian tool type of thing. Almost a farm implement that is modified for non-farm uses.

My take is that this is more of a single mann, out in the wilds, personal defense weapon for use against the native wildlife. With that purpose in mind, I think they use it of it more along the lines of a bill-hook/scythe type of device to keep the snakes, reptiles and stuff at a distance so they do not get bit and poisoned by them.

Construction looks to be a two-handed weapon made of some kind of mesquite-like type of wood with a copper/bronze type of blade easily hammered out with minimum resources being expended. And of course, it has no ornamentation or personalization. If you have seen one you have seen them all. Nothing legendary or mythical here.

This approach leaves the better ores available for the more deadly, and coveted, close range concealed daggers that they are also supposed to favor for their "intimate" approach to personal combat.

So in essence it's a common thing every Waerd would be familiar with, but also not especially deadly in personal combat. Slash a lizard. Spike a snake. Prod a herd animal if needed. Cut some firewood. Prop something up for shade. A little of this. A little of that. Whatever you need at the time. With not too much cost just in case you have to abandon it along the way.

A weapon/tool that is as unremarkable and interchangeable as The Waerd are themselves.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

6/25/2018 10:23:13 PM #54

yikes, imagine that being swung at you ?

Riva Steel

Friend Code: 406544

6/26/2018 12:35:34 PM #55

Posted By Klorinth at 9:12 PM - Sat Jun 23 2018

Teland,

I very much hope you are right about the ability of crafters to manipulate and alter the designs and recipes. The ability to take RL skill and knowledge and apply it in game is something I am very much hoping for.

If that is possible I would change the design of this one. Only a little though. I mostly like it.

If what Snipe was saying in the Crafting Design Journal is anything to go by then yes, this should be possible.

Probably one of the best DJ so far, at least that's what my little audience I'm trying recruit into CoE said.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

6/26/2018 3:44:32 PM #56

Posted By ZeroCool at 05:35 AM - Tue Jun 26 2018

If what Snipe was saying in the Crafting Design Journal is anything to go by then yes, this should be possible.

You are definitely going to have a high degree of flexibility here, but it isn't absolute because the weapon blueprints aren't freeform, they're componential. For example, this one might require a glaive blade, a shaft, a rondel, and materials to ensure the tang of the blade stays secure within the shaft. You can swap out one component for another of the same type, to produce a similar weapon to the blueprint. You can also make your components using compatible techniques that aren't the ones called for in the component's recipe.

If you use different components, you will alter the weapon's performance profile directly, biasing it to certain combat styles and essentially creating a new weapon of the same type. If you use different techniques, you will impart different characteristics and properties to each component, more subtlely altering the performance of the weapon, without change its core profile.

This same sort of "compatible options are allowed" paradigm allows for a lot of unique combinations of materials, components, and recipes which will allow for a massive variety in weapons. However, there isn't really a step where you can make a decision that is "exactly like this recipe calls for, but just 2.5 cm longer" unless there happens to be a compatible component you have access to that fits that desire.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
6/26/2018 8:28:46 PM #57

Posted By Snipehunter at 11:44 AM - Tue Jun 26 2018

Posted By ZeroCool at 05:35 AM - Tue Jun 26 2018

You are definitely going to have a high degree of flexibility here, but it isn't absolute because the weapon blueprints aren't freeform, they're componential. For example, this one might require a glaive blade, a shaft, a rondel, and materials to ensure the tang of the blade stays secure within the shaft. You can swap out one component for another of the same type, to produce a similar weapon to the blueprint. You can also make your components using compatible techniques that aren't the ones called for in the component's recipe.

If you use different components, you will alter the weapon's performance profile directly, biasing it to certain combat styles and essentially creating a new weapon of the same type. If you use different techniques, you will impart different characteristics and properties to each component, more subtlely altering the performance of the weapon, without change its core profile.

This same sort of "compatible options are allowed" paradigm allows for a lot of unique combinations of materials, components, and recipes which will allow for a massive variety in weapons. However, there isn't really a step where you can make a decision that is "exactly like this recipe calls for, but just 2.5 cm longer" unless there happens to be a compatible component you have access to that fits that desire.

Yes it does. Thanks.

So if I'm following you correctly, it is a modular system.

The customizations would occur if I had a different "glaive" type blade, then I could swap it out for the "standard" blade. Or If I had another "handle" that would fit the socket I could alter the length.

But a "non-glaive" blade would not fit. Or if the new handle attached with a different type of socket.

Tab A fits into Slot A. Tab B into Slot B. But no Tab A into Slot B. And so on and suchlike?

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

6/26/2018 10:57:25 PM #58

@Snipehunter,

So if I am reading you correctly my original comments about not using riveted plates to attach the projection on the blade, but to forge it as a single piece, would not be possible. But attaching a different one might be possible?

%5D(https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19014/naw-drakemoore)

6/27/2018 3:04:43 AM #59

Posted By Klorinth at 3:57 PM - Tue Jun 26 2018

@Snipehunter,

So if I am reading you correctly my original comments about not using riveted plates to attach the projection on the blade, but to forge it as a single piece, would not be possible. But attaching a different one might be possible?

That's correct. There may be a version of that same edge without the projection, for example, and you could use that instead.

However, on certain objects you can craft, it's possible to add what we call adornments. So you might be able to, theoretically, use the version without the projection, then add the projection back as an adornment, if an adornment of that shape existed and the blade you were using allowed for adornments to be attached. That said, adornments are largely decorative in the current design, and mostly meant as an end-stage customization of things like armor or clothes, so I wouldn't expect it in this particular case.

• Snipehunter
6/27/2018 10:06:35 PM #60

I like the look of this weapon, I do have questions though,

It appears as though the hook is single edged and that the edge is on the outside of hook? Am I correct in that observation?

If so, it looks like the intended stragedy of the inner spike would to be to stab an oppponent whom you've hooked with the weapon? So in practice you'd pull an opponent off balance with the hook portion and following that up with a thrust?