COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A calendar ... really?

So at the end of an “not that amazing“ event we got no news about map selection / alpha eg.

But now we got a 12 x 1 month calendar event overview with 3 types

Get more member (makes sense) Pay more money (rly again) More lore (event?)

I am dissapointed about this information about nothing after one month without real informations.

Don't get me wrong .. i love your Q&As but your time to announce alpha informations or map selection is overused

What do you think?

Alt text - can be left blank

9/14/2018 4:58:17 PM #16

We have gone on a tangent from the OP's main point, but I want to mention it isn't fair to say no information is released on the forums. As someone who follows both media, plenty of information gets put on both, and there is a fair bit of cross flow besides. Quite often, you will see discord quotes on the forums and forum links on discord highlighting something a dev said. There are at least 3-5 staff posts on the forums every day. Most are in direct response to questions. The devs enjoy interacting with the community to a level I haven't seen in a game before.

But lets talk about the salient qualities of the two media. The official forums are generally slower paced and easier to take a leisurely read. People tend to write longer responses and think about what they wish to say before hitting the Submit button. Discord is immediate and more easily supports the rapid back and forth exchange of ideas.

Often, if I am looking for a conversation and some fun stream-of-collective-consciousness speculation I will head to discord. If I have something specific I want to say or if I am looking for a deep dive in an idea I will head to the forums. Both media are valid and useful in their own way.

For the devs, it seems like Discord is the medium of choice for low-pressure interaction. Discord is not an official platform for game information, and nothing said there is set in stone. That means the devs can be free to ramble a bit in a way they cannot in the forums. The forums require a well-thought-out official, factual response. That is something the devs don't generally make time for because... well, because they are developing the game. So the posts we get on the forums are scheduled and regular. But as a result they are more concrete. If you see something on Discord, it is almost always smothered in a blanket caveat. That is less so on the forums.

TLDR; you aren't missing anything if you don't follow Discord, because Discord is not official. Anything official will always be (and always has been) mentioned on the forums.

9/14/2018 6:18:02 PM #17

I will bathe my toes in a pit of possible snake venom and see what happens.

So what do I think?

Well, I will try to sum it up as simple as possible. First off, that calender was like being given a wall of text. I honestly did not give it more than a few. From this I can in a sense understand the OP's reaction. Not everybody loves everything that comes out on the forums and we should not. The diversity must never turn into a collection of A vs B.

Now I would maybe have structured my opening post a little differently, but the OP goes to the point. I could not care less for what the OP have written prior to this, I take my view from what is here now.

To me the recent event has felt so bland. In my opinion, which no one has to agree with, The Searing Plague quickly ended up feeling like a filler. While I can see the idea behind it and the use for the future of adding some lore into the game. It was, again to me, the worst event yet. Did not something good come of it? Well, I did start to interact a little more with my future kingdom and finally signed up, so it was not all bad.

Some one once said something along the line of:

There is nothing so bad, that no good could come of it.

I may be phrasing the quote wrong, but you are all smart people, you understand.

Now as a small mention as to how information comes out. Yes, I too believe that Discord has gone to far, spite the continues statement that Discord is not official information. The lines have blurred it seems, if this was not so, then people would not take note and mention it. Recently even I, who have also been around from before KS, have experienced the information especial on the website as a little of a mess and sometimes not cut clean. Now this comes from how I personally work and we do not all follow the lines. On a website mentioning final note, it is nice to see the random threads of art pieces for the game.

And on a final note. Months back I spoke to some one I know in the community, a king of a sort, though this person would rather be a hermit. One thing we agreed upon back then was that the next big boom would be map selection (Domain/settlement included).

I for one will be expecting a nice short, clean and informative thread post from Caspian, that; now it is here. Now we can all taste the smell of soon knowing, where in world of Elyria, on each our respective server, that we will settle down.

Thank you for your time, those who read my little fence of text and understood my points and also to those who just read the first little part and threw in a Dislike.

9/14/2018 6:36:15 PM #18

Caspian 'The Pure'Today at 12:35 PM

Just remember..... you think the drama around the plague has been interesting... our next big event is Map Voting....

((Adjusted my comment on the first page))

9/14/2018 6:54:21 PM #19

>Discord isn't an official platform, all announcements on forums

>Map voting announced on discord

k.

What this tells me is that there is a nonzero chance map voting will be pushed back again, and SbS will still have the convenient shield of 'not on the forums, ergo not real'.

9/14/2018 7:04:08 PM #20

Posted By mickdude2 at 11:54 AM - Fri Sep 14 2018

>Discord isn't an official platform, all announcements on forums

>Map voting announced on discord

k.

What this tells me is that there is a nonzero chance map voting will be pushed back again, and SbS will still have the convenient shield of 'not on the forums, ergo not real'.

Map voting wasn't announced on Discord. At best, map voting was teased on Discord. That shield of convenience is the point. We enjoy a lot of communication from the devs. Without that shield, we would enjoy far less. Let's not take it for granted.

9/14/2018 7:33:27 PM #21

Posted By Wolfguarde at 10:03 AM - Fri Sep 14 2018

Posted By Malais at 12:26 AM - Sat Sep 15 2018

Posted By zimmah at 07:21 AM - Fri Sep 14 2018

And apperently lots of things are >only mentioned on discord.

This right here.

I have NEVER seen a developer use third party chat software as the primary means to communicate important information to their user base while almost completely ignoring their own website.

New players will visit the website first it should be the primary vehicle for information. Sbs continues to miss this and now it’s actually starting to be a little sad.

In fairness, this is probably partly because the development process itself is unconventional, and Discord's an easier channel through which to pass on small parcels of info while they're working.

That said, as someone who almost never uses Discord, it's frustrating that a lot of the updates to the old DJs and some of the new info seem to now be happening primarily through it.

I understand that on the one hand, it's allowing them to communicate with the more active members of the community more consistently, without interrupting work flow to make posts. But on the other, as you've pointed out - this is one of the first places new players will see upon discovering the project, and there's always going to be people who can't or won't use Discord. It would be good if we had someone collecting all of those bits and pieces and throwing them together to release on the forum.

Even as someone who uses discord, it's hard to remember and piece together the tidbits of information, assuming you don't miss any of them, and assuming they aren't just Caspian trolling us in the first place.

And besides, you can't really pitch random quotes to new players.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

9/14/2018 7:57:14 PM #22

Posted By Dleatherus at 08:46 AM - Fri Sep 14 2018

i personally don't spend much time in the official CoE discord because i find it to be too fast paced and have plenty of other stuff and projects on my plate - so i often miss what caspian, snipehunter etc say and i get and understand where you're coming from

what i do is once or twice a week run a search for @caspian or @snipehunter and the other devs and their quotes come up - easy peasy to sift through and see which ones have substance and which ones are "just chit chat"

i would rather have these to sift through and learn some more about CoE, than have none on discord at all (or the CoE Forums)

somebody was doing this for The Searing Plague Event and posting relevant quotes from discord into a thread on the forums

might be somebody takes the initiative to do something similar

This workaround should not be required for any of us, much less for new community members trying to orient themselves to CoE for the first time.

Gunnlang and Malais are correct: communication has been a recurring issue for SBS for a long time, and you have to start wondering what people like serp are doing if not improving communication with the community...

9/14/2018 8:48:14 PM #23

After just finishing up the Searing Plague event I thought I'd take a stroll through the forums. Imagine my surprise when I ran into this thread... I generally don't have time to provide lengthy responses on the forums anymore - much like I don't really go into Discord anymore.

However, let me take a few minutes to respond to some of the comments in this thread. Because this is the official forums and not a place for casual conversation like Discord where the devs are more or less free to voice their thoughts and opinions, there's no doubt this will be linked, quoted, and likely show up on news sites. Which serves to underscore the separation of information that exists between Discord and our official forums to begin with. But in any case, here goes...

Posted By MagistrateMondra

So at the end of an "not that amazing" event we got no news about map selection / alpha eg.

First, the Searing Plague event has been amazing. While you may not have enjoyed it, community engagement went up 200%, many long-time inactive members returned to the forums, we awarded somewhere on the order of thousands of Elyrian packages to people in the community, and as a result, thousands of new players have spread out across the servers joining the various kingdoms, duchies, counties, and settlements.

In addition, you got to participate in something that - to my knowledge - you've never gotten to participate in before. You got a chance to write the history of an MMO pre-launch. The ability for player-communities to participate in writing world-lore before a game launches is an amazing way to make sure that each and every one of you feels a deep connection to the history of the world. This event, while finished, isn't over. We will no doubt feel its effects in-game in one shape or form, idefinitely.

To me - that's an amazing event. And a successful one.

Second, the Searing Plague event literally ended less than an hour ago. Events like the Searing Plague and map voting require time, resources, development costs, etc., and are not part of our regular promotion schedule. Map voting is coming up, we're going to have an official announcement for it, but not today. If you've been following along in our official updates here on the website, you likely already knew that.

That aside, we posted our calendar of events so people understand we weren't just making stuff up each month. We've planned these monthly promotions out well in advance, and use the resources of our outreach team - not our development team - throughout the year to make sure they land successfully. As I've said numerous times before, the success of an MMO doesn't come from launching. Launching an MMO successfully while not easy, has been done many times before, only to see the community fall apart and the game ultimately fail to establish any longevity. In order for an MMO to be truly successful, they must establish a core, critical mass of players who are dedicated to the long-term success of the game. And that's what these monthly lore, promo, and community events are about. Ensuring the long-term success of CoE, post-launch.

So, then this is where this forum thread devolves. It goes from being an on-topic conversation about where the announcemnt about Map Voting is, to some off-topic rant by long-time community members about how we never share information on our forums. While I'll address those individually below, it's demonstrably false, as all important and official information is now released on the website before Discord, by threat of torture by myself and the outreach team. All official info goes through multiple revisions and write-ups, it goes through graphic design if necessary, and only then is it posted to our official website, followed shortly after by a link-announcement on Discord and social media.

But in spite of the fact that no information of importance or relevance is shared on Discord that isn't also posted by us first here on the website, people will continue to complain to the contrary because we're friendly and social with those who regular our Discord server and are happy to talk about what we're working on and how progress is going.

In any case, if you do not wish to watch me fervently repeat myself in this next part, you can just stop now....

Posted By Gunnlang

Oh of course discord.. why would they bother putting anything onto the forums...

We post all official updates on the website. Until it's on the website, it isn't official. If you've got time to come onto our Discord and socialize with other community members and the developers, you're likely to enjoy some casual conversation and get to know the developers better. But nothing stated there is official. For example, here's the post where we announced the launch of the Searing Plague: Will you survive the Searing Plague Event. We of course teased about it ahead of time, but provided no launch date/time or other specifics until it was on the website.

This idea that we don't post anything on our website is antiquated at best, and simply wrong at worst. Our Thursday shinys, our official announcements, developer blogs, community journals, news & announcements, etc. all show up on the forums or the website. So while we casually chat on Discord, here on our website is where the official info is. Either in our News & Announcements, or our Developer Blogs.

Posted By Makeke

So map vote is next month?. Or did I just make 1+1 = 34?. I could be off. Their marcoms is beyond basic. Needs to be less random info shared on discord and clearer information in forums.

We'll let you know when map voting is going to start when we're ready to make an announcement about it. No announcement has been made yet about the start date of map voting. Although there was info about it in our most recent production blog about Release 0.4.0 Production Update: From Pre To Alpha.

Posted By Gunnlang

While it annoys me that Caspian flat out says map voting is the next community event on discord. (While at least in Violet quote, doesn't give any rough idea to when). But once again, says nothing on the forums.

Notice how since I didn't provide any substantial information, such as start date, there's no news announcement about it? Can you imagine what would have happened if I'd made a forum topic that said "Yes, map voting is still our next big community event," and just left it at that?

I guarantee you, the news announcement about Map Voting will show up on the website before a launch date in Discord. And if you've been following our official news/developer blogs here on the website, you already knew it was up next.

Posted By zimmah

I understand sharing some info on discord first but come on, big reveals like that should be on the forums.

"Map voting is the next community event we'll be doing after this one," isn't a big reveal. It's been at least a small focus of all of our recent production updates, and to my knowledge, everyone knew already. And if you didn't know already - no big deal. When we've set the launch date, we'll make sure there's news posts, social media, etc. Until then, does it really matter?

Posted By Malais

I have NEVER seen a developer use third party chat software as the primary means to communicate important information to their user base while almost completely ignoring their own website.

You still don't. Our website is the primary means to communicate important information to our user base. If you've been told otherwise, you were mislead. While we have casual conversation in Discord, and occasionally let people know what we're currently working on, we don't make official announcements through Discord alone.

New players will visit the website first it should be the primary vehicle for information. Sbs continues to miss this and now it’s actually starting to be a little sad.

We don't miss that. We also believe that the website should be the primary vehicle for accurate information. If you want accurate information, our News & Announcements and Blog posts are the #1 best place to get it. Anything stated in casual conversation in Discord is unofficial.

Posted By Gunnlang

There has been a group of us saying for probably years now something needs to change. Their communication at this rate is a joke.

You have been saying it for years. Even after it changed, you continue to say it.

Of course they then throw back anything said on discord isn't official

I'm not sure what you're looking for here... We post all launch dates, official announcements, upcoming events, developer journals, production updates, etc. on the website.

What we do on Discord is chat about life, politics, and occasionally someone asks a question like "How's map voting going?" To which someone will respond "Going great! I got X feature working... pretty happy about it. At this rate, I may be able to finish up my work on map voting earlier than expected."

Nothing in that is forum-worthy. Nor is there anything official there. This argument was made years ago when we didn't have an outreach team, no support team, and nobody making sure you guys were kept informed on our website. But that time period is long-gone. Nothing is shared on Discord of any importance that we don't post to the website when it's ready to be posted.

Posted By Malais

They have an outreach team and Serp. As awesome as he is he isn’t coding or doing development work on the game. How difficult would it be to let the guy take what is posted in discord and update the website?

First, Serpentius leads our support efforts. Which means every single support ticket is triaged by him at the very least, and handled by him in most cases. Just because he's in Discord, doesn't mean he isn't extremely busy organizing events, reviewing surname submissions, sitting in meetings representing the community's interest, or handling support tickets.

The fact he pops in when his name is mentioned isn't a sign of him having free time, it's a sign of his comittment to the community to make himself available.

Second, the vast majority of random conversations that happen in Discord by the developers (I'm only on Discord a couple times a month now), aren't worthy of being prominantly displayed on the forums. The information isn't that relevant or isn't that accurate. No matter how many times we stress, "info shared in casual conversation in Discord isn't official until we post it on the website," you still seem to want it... then when it changes because, well, it wasn't official, you get upset and blame us for being inaccurate. When we shrug and go "Uh, we told you it wasn't official," we get the response, "If it wasn't official, why did you share it."

You can't have it both ways.

You either want the information which is likely to change and isn't official yet - which we ocassionally share in Discord - and you understand it's not official yet, is subject to change, and thus is less important... or you just want the latest, most-accurate, 100% certain information. Which we share on our official website.

Posted By mickdude2

Discord isn't an official platform, all announcements on forums
Map voting announced on discord

Map voting wasn't announced on Discord. No information was shared about map voting on Discord that hasn't already made its way in to a DJ or news item. Just because you learned we're still planning to have Map Voting next from a Discord conversation doesn't mean it was announced there and that the information wasn't already in a blog/journal post.

At the end of the day, what this thread looks like is a lot of people upset about us sharing information in Discord which we didn't share. Then observing that it's been a long-standing problem that we only give out tentative, unofficial information in Discord that's subject to change, rather than more prominantly posting that kind of information as official, unofficial information on our official website, so people can officially say we're now posting with regularity unofficial information on our official news site.

Got it.

And because I've posted this on the forums, rather than just expressing my opinion in Discord, I guess this is me officially stating that if you feel we release super secret exclusive information unfairly on Discord, then you should join us in Discord to get that information.

If you either don't believe that's the case, or don't want to join us in Discord, then only you are responsible. Because last I checked, we're the ones providing the information, and are free to do so wherever we feel like it.

If you want the information, go where you believe the information is.

9/14/2018 9:38:55 PM #24

Great post! Very clear. Everything was already known, but I guess it was necessary to clarify it again. You guys at SBS are patient on an impossible level.

9/14/2018 10:08:42 PM #25

Some people are so impatient... If you READ and talk to others, you're bound to find out what's coming up... In this instance map voting was naturally the next step and also makes the most sense, since the plague would directly effect the world. This also could mean things could start picking up after voting ends...

I for one enjoyed the event... there was a lot of RP going on, met a lot of people from each of the servers, and definitely made it a bit more challenging to just stay in my current server... I've met some awesome people I'd love to play the game with from the other servers... SO I wouldn't say the event was "not that amazing" at all... it was indeed amazing and gave just a glimpse of what our effect on the game could be... everyone steered history a different direction for the whole game, more towards advancement instead of plague ridden...

9/14/2018 10:25:04 PM #26

My problem is that, contrary to Caspian's assertion that "all official information is released on the website first, then link posted to Discord, under threat of torture", is simply not true.

Take for example the milestone achievements from the Searing Plague Event. What was earned was first posted on Discord, then hours (sometimes many hours) later, THEN the "official" post would show up quietly on the updated news feed. Perhaps I just missed an edit, as the post date itself did not change, but my experience during the event was things were released in Discord first, and eventually the Official post would be updated for the rest of us to read later.

As I'm sure many people here are in the same boat as I am, in that my job does not allow the luxury of Discord at work. I am allowed to web surf on breaks, so I can read things on the forums to keep up with the daily events, milestones reached, etc. I do not have even the option of using Discord, Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Mumble, IRC, or any other voice app. I know many players are not allowed to use voice apps during certain times of day, even silenced, by parents, spouses, teachers, etc. There does need to be communication of what is revealed or discussed in Discord to the regular threads of the forums, even if "unofficial".

I do enjoy the casual chat in Discord, but much of the "important" information does need to be copied to an unofficial thread. Even if it has the requisite label of "unofficial - copied from Discord" it allows non-Discord people to keep up with official, unofficial, or semi-official rumors, teases, or even potentially real information. For some players, they will never join Discord. But for those like me, I feel like I've been thrown to the wolves in my search for near real time info during the long days I'm toiling at work. The best I get is people talking about what was said, and me having to divine for myself what the blazes they are talking about.

So yes, the official info, as in the three boxes at the top of the page, are typically the first source of info (milestone info notwithstanding). But posting the rest of relevant Discord tidbits on the forum thread would be much appreciated by those of us that want/need/desire such info to be in one place, even the "unofficial" stuff.

Hopefully my first post was meaningful enough to evoke some thought from SbS, and perhaps even the community at large.

9/14/2018 10:28:48 PM #27

@Caspian

I would agree 100% about information changing and all that on the website being a bad thing except this is a game in development not a finished product. Going back to Asherons Call and DAoC my first online games, up through more recent launches. Games in Beta or Alpha for those I’ve been lucky enough to be a part of have ALWAYS prefaced their comments and posts with the usual legalese “can change still in works Ext”. Yet info was still posted on the website.

You guys want to be different that’s fine. Let’s take something that was officially mentioned in discord from this last event.

Milestones. The fact the CB hit one twice as fast as the OB was mentioned on Discord first. To my knowledge it was not a dev who brought it to the website but a group of players who did.

Yes very small thing but does lead those of us who do not have time to frequent discord to feel left out. Sure sounds like a school yard kid crying he doesn’t get to play but what about the thousands of new folks that will stop by between now and alpha/beta/launch?

We still have folks asking if the games out and older members who when stepping through the site again with fresh eyes cannot easily find this basic information?

Now as for who should be moving or posting you guys have a large group of dedicated folks from ambassadors to mods who would likely be able to volunteer time to keep things up to date. (Posting new info correcting out of date). Shoot I do it from work more often than not when I see a question based on old info. The reason I mentioned serp is I’ve dealt with the guy and he’s pretty sharp. He’s also a very good judge of character. If he is the one picking who can and cannot update the masses your life would be much simpler.

Not three days ago someone posted a question on how they could help you. Perhaps this is a good use of the ambassadors?

I’m not trying to pick a fight but if you look at the site and the forums through a users eyes instead of a dev you would see what a lot of us are talking about. It’s not an attack it’s a red flag that should be looked at before CoE goes fully mainstream heading into launch.

9/14/2018 10:49:47 PM #28

I for one liked the searing plague event. It wasn't anything major that required our constant attention, and it didn't overstay it's welcome, in my opinion. It was a necessary event to get the community's engines revved up again before moving on to bigger things.

Though I can see why people might not have liked the event, since it did have a slight tone of "do this or suffer the consequences!" But I think the majority of people enjoyed the event for what it was, gave it the attention it deserved, and then moved on.

As for this whole discord vs. website argument. I think it just comes down to being a perceived slight, and not an actual one. The problem stems from exposure to the devs and managers. On discord the devs and managers are almost always available to chat with, while on the website they only post when they have something actually worth sharing, for obvious reasons. This causes the appearance of discord being the main source of information, but it really isn't.

Asking the devs/managers to constantly post discord conversations on the forums regardless of their importance or accuracy, is like asking your bosses at work to send out an email consisting of all of their casual conversations with your fellow employees. It would be a constant annoyance to everybody, and it would be too time consuming. Not to mention unreasonable.

The mystery of the universe is like one big jigsaw puzzle, and we are forever discovering new pieces.

9/14/2018 11:52:08 PM #29

Posted By Dleatherus at 03:57 AM - Fri Sep 14 2018

Posted By MagistrateMondra at

What do you think?

having seen many of your posts, i think you complain at every single opportunity

Seriously, you want us to follow information listed on Discord? why is'nt it listed on this website?

Also who cares if he complains, we have that right to complain, praise, worship etc.. w/o someone coming in on their high-horse and trying to put him/her on blast..

Hell now i'm complaining, and will continue to complain especially if i have to dig and and do research on shit ppl are blurting out that should be listed HERE on the forums not on DISCORD.

I don't sit around playing a game all day I have a life and should be able to find all the information that is new in ONE spot...

Umm so yeah I'd say he/she has a right to complain.

9/15/2018 12:03:35 AM #30

Posted By Orikoren at 5:49 PM - Fri Sep 14 2018

I for one liked the searing plague event. It wasn't anything major that required our constant attention, and it didn't overstay it's welcome, in my opinion. It was a necessary event to get the community's engines revved up again before moving on to bigger things.

Though I can see why people might not have liked the event, since it did have a slight tone of "do this or suffer the consequences!" But I think the majority of people enjoyed the event for what it was, gave it the attention it deserved, and then moved on.

As for this whole discord vs. website argument. I think it just comes down to being a perceived slight, and not an actual one. The problem stems from exposure to the devs and managers. On discord the devs and managers are almost always available to chat with, while on the website they only post when they have something actually worth sharing, for obvious reasons. This causes the appearance of discord being the main source of information, but it really isn't.

Asking the devs/managers to constantly post discord conversations on the forums regardless of their importance or accuracy, is like asking your bosses at work to send out an email consisting of all of their casual conversations with your fellow employees. It would be a constant annoyance to everybody, and it would be too time consuming. Not to mention unreasonable.

You say that the info listed is unofficial info but for the most part some of the conversations that happen on discord eventually do become official.. One site for all info is all we are asking for.