COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Help Me Understand

I uh I want to play... But I'm not sold... How are you all so into this game already? How long has it been a thing? When is the estimated release? How can I justify more than 40-70 bucks on a game that i cant play yet? Help me understand! lol I'm TheCoz btw...you will see me on wanted posters because Rust broke me down from a hero to a bandit :( :P

10/11/2017 7:49:26 PM #1

The Community is so into the game already because there has been a lot of information to follow along with and we all have an important role in helping develop the game as our ideas and opinions are listened to. There is always a CoE presence in the Discord channel too so we regularly get to chat with the devs and community management team. The devs are excellent at keeping the community informed and up to date. There are numerous dev journals and news articles available to read jam packed full of months of information, they can be found at the top of the page under the community section. There are numerous Youtube Q&A videos that come out regularly where the devs discuss their progress, intentions and they answer our questions. There is a journal which details the development timetable, i'm sure someone will post it.

10/11/2017 7:54:45 PM #2

Wow now lol Ima need you to come down off that high your on? Also...can you share whatever youre on? :P I jest I Jest...! But for trues my Dood...may I call you my dood?

I am extremely intrigued BUT The combat is wonky and how can I justify dropping more than 100 bucks on a game two years away form being playable UNLESS I cough up what...250? I want this game to be a reality, it would be amazing! I would love to get involved and burn down villages...i mean PROTECT villages :P Help me out here my Dood.

10/11/2017 7:57:10 PM #3

There's still about 3 years of development to go (although we will get to play the Voxelyria/Mud earlier than that), the combat has not been done yet, the combat you've seen is basically a pre-alpha placeholder. Someone else needs to explain all the ins and outs to you I'm not great at explaining things, there's the whole rope bridge philosophy that needs explaining but I'd rather leave that to someone smarter than me lol.

If you want to know all about CoE you really need to take a time out to read all the Dev Journals, watch all the Q&A's. It may sound like a boring thing to have to do but there's so much info it's very hard to explain in a small post why there's such a huge following.

10/11/2017 8:01:59 PM #4

-External Link- I can't watch videos. Where can I read the information from the Q&A's?

Gameplay

-Link- Is this game P2W?

-Link- What will PvP be like in CoE?

-Link- What are some of the ElyriaMUD/KoE Mechanics we can expect?

-Link- When is Alpha? (See the first reply)

-Link- Why should I invest in the game now?

-Link- Can I give my title to a friend or merge our accounts?

-Link- Can you tell me more about being a Deviant?

-Link- What is the difference between a Baron and a Mayor?

Tribes

-Link- Where can I find Official information on Tribes?

-Link- Where can I find all the Tribes described in one forum post?

-Link- How does my tribe relate to other tribes?

Dev/Design Journals (on forum not blog)

• -Link- DJ #1: Humble Beginnings
  • -Link- DJ #2: Introducing the Proteus Engine
  • -Link- DJ #3: Out of The Frying Pan
  • -Link- DJ #4: The Chat System
  • -Link- DJ #5: It Takes a Village
  • -Link- Design Journal #1: Introduction to Souls
  • -Link- Design Journal #2: Soul Selection, Destiny, Achievements and Soul Mates
  • -Link- Design Journal #3: Time, Aging, and Offline Player Characters
  • -Link- Design Journal #4: Incapacitation, Spirit Walking, and Permadeath
  • -Link- Design Journal #5: Families and Family Selection
  • -Link- Design Journal #6: Character Customization and Bloodlines
  • -Link- Design Journal #7: Contracts and Player-Created Professions
  • -Link- Design Journal #8: Character Roles and Skill Advancement
  • -Link- Design Journal #9: Crafting and Professions
  • -Link- Design Journal #10: Maps, Cartography, and Navigation
  • -Link- Design Journal #11: Equipment & Inventory
  • -Link- Design Journal #12: Identity, Disguises, and Reputation
  • -Link- Design Journal #13: Technology & Research
  • -Link- Design Journal #14: Player Housing – Architecture and Construction
  • -Link- Design Journal #15: Player-Created Dungeons
  • -Link- Design Journal #16: The Weight and Measure of a Lifetime
  • -Link- Design Journal #17: Bolstering and Earn-to-Play
  • -Link- Design Journal #18: Kingdom and Land Management
  • -Link- Design Journal #19: Pre-Alpha Experiences
  • -Link- Design Journal #20: A Tale of Twelve Tribes

10/11/2017 8:06:37 PM #5

Good points my Dood....I should be working instead of this :P

10/11/2017 8:58:40 PM #6

Posted By TheCoz at 8:54 PM - Wed Oct 11 2017

Wow now lol Ima need you to come down off that high your on? Also...can you share whatever youre on? :P I jest I Jest...! But for trues my Dood...may I call you my dood?

I am extremely intrigued BUT The combat is wonky and how can I justify dropping more than 100 bucks on a game two years away form being playable UNLESS I cough up what...250? I want this game to be a reality, it would be amazing! I would love to get involved and burn down villages...i mean PROTECT villages :P Help me out here my Dood.

This game will make EVE drama look tame.

10/11/2017 9:08:03 PM #7

Lol, that drama though!

10/12/2017 3:54:43 PM #8

I just Can’t wait for the spring . I’m hoping we get a constant and persistent alpha by June - Im just so impatient to get into the dance of dynasties in game , as the forums game doesn’t do it for me (I’m more of a visual type) . I want to hunt for legendary monsters while assuming my role as badass blacksmith mayor .

10/12/2017 8:36:26 PM #9

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 08:54 AM - Thu Oct 12 2017

I just Can’t wait for the spring . I’m hoping we get a constant and persistent alpha by June - Im just so impatient to get into the dance of dynasties in game , as the forums game doesn’t do it for me (I’m more of a visual type) . I want to hunt for legendary monsters while assuming my role as badass blacksmith mayor .

A persistent Alpha would be bad ass! I'm so pumped! I feel like this game is going to exceed its expectations!

10/12/2017 8:52:36 PM #10

Waiting and praying for VoxElyria heh then on to the Alphas and Betas. Good things take time :)

10/12/2017 11:40:58 PM #11

Welcome, TheCoz,

A good primer about what's so interesting about Chronicles of Elyria is outlined this video from our CEO and Creative Director, Caspian, at PAX East earlier this year:

We believe players deserve experiences that are meaningful and interesting, so we are developing a world where players' choices impact everything big and small. No matter what kind of character you want to play, whether you want to build villages or burn them, there's something for you here. What's better, other players will care that you exist, both in game and out. ^_^

10/13/2017 3:15:06 PM #12

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 02:54 AM - Fri Oct 13 2017

I just Can’t wait for the spring . I’m hoping we get a constant and persistent alpha by June -

Getting a persistent alpha would be a terrible move. Nothing like playing a broken early access game for the next 5+ years.

10/13/2017 4:50:41 PM #13

I wouldn't get hung up on persistent alpha. I think the naming of a star , your family line and name on a head stone or momument .those things may be persistent as well as your land selection. But as testing progresses there may be other things esp when we get to beta, persistent also may be referring to things be implemented that work and not what the community does to build or alter things during testing. EP may be tested but not spent till exposition far as we know. Of course this is only my opinion reading into what they say and everyone has one.

So don't get hung up on "persistent alpha" for right now.

10/13/2017 4:50:48 PM #14

Posted By Gunnlang at 08:15 AM - Fri Oct 13 2017

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 02:54 AM - Fri Oct 13 2017

I just Can’t wait for the spring . I’m hoping we get a constant and persistent alpha by June -

Getting a persistent alpha would be a terrible move. Nothing like playing a broken early access game for the next 5+ years.

Agreed 100%

10/14/2017 12:12:02 AM #15

Sweet