COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Rules show us your domain

can someone from SBS please clarify the rules ?

• image size
  • files - pics like jpg, png ect or videos of 3d rendered stuff too ?
  • does it need to be our settlement, if so does it have to contain the infos about the surroundings on the map, ressources ect (so could someone with a hrothi settlement in the middle of the mountains withou any trees make a picture of a settlement in the middle of a forest without any mountains nearby ?)
  • what about the people that still need to claim ? they don t know what they will end up with- so if they choose at the end of the mayor week or even later, doesn t that mean they have at least 1 week less time since someone else might take the settlement and they might end up in another biome

• only around 10-20% of the people in europe have english as their first language. how are the other 80-90% supposed to compete in writing ?

Every competition works with rules to make the comparison fair, so far I haven t found any info regarding this

9/18/2019 4:04:42 PM #1

Push 'cause of interest

9/18/2019 5:14:35 PM #2

on the last point, just write in english and have some ppl on your community proofread it for oyu for typos etc. thats atleast i'll do it as finnish person

9/18/2019 6:07:25 PM #3

I don't have much time as I'm in the midst of moving house but I'll throw a few words together in a moment even if it's a bit hasty. I would guess it can be any event from your domain's past or lore? Will have to make something up that's fitting with my new spot beside the tundra :)

9/18/2019 6:34:53 PM #4

Done. Half an hours work so apologies for quality slip but better than nothing. Hopefully it provides some inspiration for others at least.

9/18/2019 7:03:16 PM #5

Posted By Barlin at

can someone from SBS please clarify the rules ?

• image size

Any image size will be accepted, however, from personal experience I can tell you that posting very large images on the web to be viewed in the browser can result in images not being able to be loaded. While it is not a requirement, limiting your images to 2kx2k or lower (or even targeting 1080p [1920x1080]) resolution will help to guarantee no technical issues get in the way of your submission.

• files - pics like jpg, png ect or videos of 3d rendered stuff too ?

The expectation is static images (PNGs, JPGs, GIFs) not videos, but they can be hand drawn, 3D rendered, or whatever process you prefer to generate them.

• does it need to be our settlement, if so does it have to contain the infos about the surroundings on the map, ressources ect (so could someone with a hrothi settlement in the middle of the mountains withou any trees make a picture of a settlement in the middle of a forest without any mountains nearby ?)

We want to hear about your domain or settlement, but that doesn't mean your entry can't include the things around your domain that give it its character, but your entry should reflect your domain and where it is in Elyria.

• what about the people that still need to claim ? they don t know what they will end up with- so if they choose at the end of the mayor week or even later, doesn t that mean they have at least 1 week less time since someone else might take the settlement and they might end up in another biome

That does mean they'll have less time, unfortunately.

• only around 10-20% of the people in europe have english as their first language. how are the other 80-90% supposed to compete in writing ?

Unfortunately, we don't have the resources necessary to translate non-english submissions for judging. In a perfect world, we would be able to accept entries in other languages, but as it stands, we just don't have the capacity to make that happen.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
9/18/2019 7:23:34 PM #6

Hi Snipe. Bit rushed but can you please clarify if the story should be a descriptive of the domain or if it can be an event description ie a background for an event from the domain?

No shortage of options and can throw aything together quick as time allows. I'm just not sure I've covered what you had in mind for the event.

9/19/2019 2:49:03 AM #7

Hi, Snipe!

Will a 840 word writing entry be disqualified? Is the limit a hard 750 words--and if not, what's generally a safe range for others when turning in their writing entries?

9/19/2019 5:24:39 AM #8

Not sure the answer on this, but trimmed mine to 750 in a hurry which was painful.

Unless advised otherwise, if it says "750 words or less" in the rules I would stick with that. Rules are rules after all. You may otherwise be disqualified. If SBS get back and adjust the maximum word count or wording, I may make some changes :)

9/19/2019 3:29:56 PM #9

If in doubt I'd stick with the rules to qualify. I'd happily throw together a few thousand words throughout the different ages when I get a free day but they did specify just one entry with the 750 limit per domain.

9/21/2019 7:55:02 AM #10

Just curious, should an image entry have a describer? Like x doing y in z county?

9/23/2019 10:32:12 PM #11

How do you submit to these writing competitions? I tend to stay out of the loop.

Kheg-Fourm-banner-Solaris-Confed.jpg Link to recruitment post If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

9/23/2019 11:08:29 PM #12

The below is from We're Celebrating our Kickstarter-versary and I've given it some edits for readability.

During first three weeks of the Kickstarter-versary, any player who has claimed a domain of any size can participate in a contest to "Show us your Domain" - We will accept:

a short (750 words or less) story about your domain,

OR

an image that depicts your domain in some way.

Over the last week of the kickstarter-verary, we will judge the entrants and choose a winner and a runner up for each server from both categories (Stories AND imagery). The winners from each category will receive 5000 EP to use to improve their domains and they'll be granted a unique gift from the team in the form of a monument that can be placed in their domain, affecting the domain in a positive way that is themed to the entrant's submission!

This is, in essence, a mini-design experience, though the studio is going to pick the monument's final form and its unique benefit. The runners-up in each category will receive 5000 EP to use to improve their domains as well!

To enter post your submission in the fan media forum with "[Show Us Your Domain]" at the start of your post's title. And, please, observe the limit of one entry per domain or settlement holder.

The link to the CoE subforum: Fan Media <---- is Here

9/24/2019 2:19:24 AM #13

Hi, I just wanted to ask a few questions. Considering the mayors who won't be able to pick until Oct 7, which is the start of the 4th week, because they didn't manage to lock into a specific server, will our submissions be allowed, despite us not being able to claim a domain yet, if we submitted them in advance? If not, will our submissions be disqualified even if we submit them immediately after we claim a domain on Oct 7?since it is technically part of the 4th week already. :( lastly, I just wanted to ask if the inclusion of static images in our story will be considered in the word count as I plan to include a few images if my lore submission will be allowed to better depict our lore. Thank you for any clarifications made :)

"The Fire that keeps Balance at bay"

9/24/2019 4:49:25 AM #14

Hi everyone:

The word count is a hard 750 word cap, as a man who likes his words, I can definitely say I feel the pain I'm sure some of you are feeling hearing that.

If you include images and words in your submission, be sure to clearly state which criteria you wish to be judged on, the words, or the images. You cannot submit an entry for both categories.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
9/24/2019 5:38:14 AM #15

Thank you so much! and yes, I hope to be judged on the words I write hahah. I simply plan to add a little aesthetic on my lore submission, if it's allowed. And regarding the first two questions, will we be allowed to compete? the location of the settlement itself would only change minor details on the lore I've drafted so far, so that wouldn't be a problem :)

"The Fire that keeps Balance at bay"